One person died and at least 11 were injured in a release of poisonous hydrogen sulfide gas at an apartment building near the University of Texas at Austin on Wednesday, fire officials said.
Austin firefighters responded to a hazardous materials call from an apartment at the complex and found a man believed to be in his 20s dead at the scene, said Austin Fire Department Lieutenant Kevin Haas.
Haas said the initial investigation determined that the release of the chemical was deemed "an intentional act," and was being investigated as a suicide.
It was unclear where the gas came from, although Haas said the victim likely released it from a container brought into the apartment.
Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless gas that smells of rotten eggs.
Six people were taken with non-life-threatening injuries to a hospital, and five others refused care, Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services spokesman Captain Darren Noak said.