Paris aims for subdued New Year celebrations after November attacks

December 30, 2015 21:48

PARIS - Authorities in Paris, with an eye to security following the November attacks by armed militants, are shortening a New Year video light show at the Arc de Triomphe at midnight on Thursday and cancelling a firework display to keep down crowds.

About 11,000 soldiers, police and emergency workers will be deployed - 2,000 more than last year - during subdued celebrations, the official city web site said, while there would be restrictions on the sale of alcohol.

The French capital remains on high alert since the Nov. 13 shootings and suicide bombings by Islamic State militants which killed 130 people.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 22, 2018
Turkey says will drive Kurdish YPG from Syrian border area if no deal with U.S.


Israel Weather
  • 19 - 34
    Beer Sheva
    19 - 31
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 20 - 29
    20 - 29
  • 25 - 35
    18 - 33