S.Korea's president says will continue phasing out nuclear power

By REUTERS
October 22, 2017 09:38




Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit:JPOST STAFF)

SEOUL, Oct 22 - South Korea's President Moon Jae-in said on Sunday the government will continue to phase out nuclear-generated electricity, following a public opinion survey that dealt a blow to his plans to do so.

"We will completely stop all plans for the construction of new nuclear reactors like the government previously stated," Moon said in a statement distributed to reporters by his office.

"The government will also step up usage of natural gas and renewables in order to maintain its stance of phasing out nuclear-generated power."

Moon's statement came after a public opinion survey on Friday found a majority of almost 60 percent in favour of resuming the stalled construction of two reactors.

The president asked his supporters on Sunday to respect the outcome of the survey, which he called a "wise and intelligent" response.

Completing the two reactors could mean a reversal of a strategy to slowly reduce nuclear energy's share of the power mix, and also significantly eat into the liquefied natural gas (LNG) demand of the world's second-largest consumer of the fuel.


Related Content
Breaking news
November 25, 2017
Quake magnitude 5.1 strikes southwest Turkey

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 10 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    13 - 23
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 16
    Jerusalem
    11 - 21
    Haifa
  • 13 - 25
    Elat
    13 - 24
    Tiberias