(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
The US military did not kill any civilians when it accompanied Somali forces on a deadly raid in August, US Africa command said late on Wednesday, the first public statement on the findings from an investigation into the raid.
The two-paragraph statement referred to a joint raid by US and Somali troops on the village of Bariire. Eyewitnesses told Reuters that 10 civilians were killed and the military had been drawn into a local clan conflict.
The survivors and relatives of the dead said they wanted blood money and an apology.
The US military denied that any civilians were killed, although it did not offer any details on the investigation. It described the dead as "enemy combatants" but stopped short of saying they were members of al Shabaab, the al-Qaeda linked insurgency.