US removing non-essential staff from embassy in Mali

December 2, 2015 02:02

WASHINGTON - The US State Department said on Tuesday it had authorized the voluntary departure from Mali of eligible family members and non-emergency personnel from the US Embassy in Bamako, following an attack on a hotel in the capital last month.

It said in a statement that the US Embassy in Mali will provide only emergency consular services to US citizens for the foreseeable future.

Nineteen people were killed, including one American, in an attack on Nov. 20 on a luxury hotel in Bamako claimed by two jihadist groups. The State Department said security in Mali remains fluid and the potential for attacks throughout the country remains.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 21, 2018
U.S. cannot predict if will get Iran nuclear accord with Europeans


Israel Weather
  • 14 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 24
    12 - 24
  • 20 - 33
    14 - 29