Yemen's Houthis call for 'serious and responsible dialogue' in UN-sponsored peace talks

By REUTERS
December 11, 2015 00:23

DUBAI - The leader of Yemen's Houthis said on Thursday his movement had given the United Nations the names of its delegates to UN-sponsored peace talks due to start in Switzerland next week.

The Iran-allied Houthis and President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's Saudi-backed government have accepted a UN invitation to hold the talks aimed at ending nearly nine months of fighting that has killed almost 6,000 people.

"We handed over the names of our negotiating delegation to the UN," Abdul-Malik al-Houthi said in a statement posted on the group's Facebook page.

The statement said a draft agenda for talks had been agreed with the United Nations and called for a "serious and responsible dialogue."

Forces loyal to Hadi, backed by air strikes and ground forces from a mainly Gulf Arab coalition, have been locked for nine months in a civil war with the Houthis, who rule the capital Sanaa and other cities.

The Houthi group says it led a revolution against the corrupt government of Hadi, but his administration and Gulf allies accuse them of carrying out a coup and advancing Iranian influence in the Arab world.




Related Content

Breaking news
February 22, 2018
Kremlin: Russia, allies not responsible for situation in Syria's Ghouta

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    10 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 16
    Jerusalem
    11 - 19
    Haifa
  • 17 - 25
    Elat
    12 - 22
    Tiberias