Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon on Tuesday warned that an "infectious wave of terror attacks" was being seen in the West Bank over the past month, but said he did not see signs of a third intifada.
Speaking during a tour of Hebron, Ya'alon said that six terror attacks had taken place in the West Bank over the past month, but added that they were carried out by individuals and did not have an organization such as Fatah or Hamas behind them.
Ya'alon blamed continued incitement by the Palestinian Authority for the attacks.
He said, however, that the defense establishment does not see signs of a popular uprising. "We don't see the motivation for this or preparations for this and we are doing everything in our power to prevent it."
Ya'alon said that "popular terror attacks" such as rock throwing and Molotov cocktail throwing were actually down in recent months as compared to April of this year.
The defense minister said that the current wave of terror was not likely to lead to a delay or cancelation of the release of Palestinian security prisoners as part of ongoing peace talks with the Palestinians.
"As long as the process is ongoing we are obligated to free the pre-Oslo prisoners. I expect that we will go forward with the next prisoner release," Ya'alon stated.
In September, two IDF soldiers were killed in the West Bank and a nine-year-old girl was injured two weeks later in front of her home in the West Bank settlement of Psagot.
IDF reserve colonel Sraya Ofer was killed on October 10 and his girlfriend wounded in an attack in the northern Jordan Valley region.
Last week, a Palestinian terrorist was shot dead after trying to enter an IDF base in the West Bank by breaching the base's fence with a tractor.
On Sunday, a Palestinian man attempted to stab a bus passenger on board Egged's 128 bus traveling near the Beitar checkpoint which is north west of Bethlehem.
Please LIKE our Facebook page - it makes us stronger: