Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convenes defense chiefs in Jerusalem.
(photo credit: HAIM ZACH/GPO)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu late Monday night ordered the advancement of plans to demolish the homes of Palestinian terrorists in hopes of deterring further terror attacks.
He also placed more security forces in the field, according the Prime Minister’s Office.
Netanyahu issued these measures in the aftermath of two separate terrorist attacks by Palestinians from the West Bank.
Almog Shiloni, 20, of Modi’in was stabbed to death in Tel Aviv. Dalia Lamkus, 26, was stabbed to death just outside the Alon Shvuet settlement in the Gush Etzion Region of the West Bank.
On social media Palestinians declared the Knife Intifadah has begun.
Netanyahu, in response held an emergency meeting with Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon, Public Defense Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch, IDF Chief-of-Staff Lt.-Gen. Benny Gantz, Shin Bet Director Yoram Cohen, Israel Police Commissioner Insp.-Gen. Yohanan Danino and Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein.
He held similar consultations last week after a vehicular terrorist attack in which two Israeli were killed.
Earlier in the day he told his party's faction in the Knesset that Israel would withstand this latest wave of violence.
"The terrorism against us knows no borders. It is aimed at all parts of the country for a simple reason. The terrorists and those who incite to it want to get rid of us wherever we are. As far as they're concerned, we don't need to be in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem or anywhere else," he said at a Likud faction meeting.
"I'll promise you one thing: They won't succeed," Netanyahu stated.
US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki condemned the terror attacks in Israel.
"We strongly condemn the stabbings today. We deeply regret the loss of life. Our condolences go out to the families," she said.
Psaki also called on Israelis and Palestinians to show restraint.Lahav Harkov and Khaled Abu Toameh contributed to this report.