Five Palestinians were killed and over 30 were wounded in the Gaza Strip on Friday as the IDF renewed strikes on Hamas targets shortly before 11:00 a.m., Palestinian officials told Israel Radio.

In the first casualties since hostilities resumed on Friday, Palestinian medical officials said a 10-year-old boy was killed in an Israeli strike near a mosque in Gaza City. An Islamic Jihad militant was killed in a later hit, local officials said.

Three Palestinians were killed in the southern Gaza town of Khan Yunis, according to Israel Radio.

The strikes come as retaliation for Hamas rocket attacks on southern Israel which broke the relative quiet of a three-day truce after it expired earlier on Friday morning.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon instructed the IDF Friday morning to respond forcefully against renewed Hamas rocket fire, senior diplomatic officials said.

The Army also stated that Israeli forces remain amassed on the Gaza border. The IDF pulled its troops out of the Gaza Strip shortly before the Cairo-brokered cease-fire was announced on Tuesday morning.

Jerusalem had hoped Hamas would agree to another 72-hour extension to allow time for Israeli and Palestinian negotiating teams in Cairo to come to an agreement that would end Operation Protective Edge, which has now entered its 32nd day.

The Home Front Command imposed renewed security restrictions on Friday on southern Israel due to the resumption in rocket fire from Gaza.

Herb Keinon contributed to this report.



Please LIKE our Facebook page - it makes us stronger