Egyptian student faces US deportation after making Trump death threat

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 3, 2016 11:31

Emadeldin Elsayed, age 23, is being held in a California jail but has not yet been charged with any specific crime.

2 minute read.



Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during a campaign stop in Worcester, Massachusetts

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during a campaign stop in Worcester, Massachusetts. (photo credit: REUTERS)

An aviation student is facing deportation from the United States following a federal investigation regarding a post written on his Facebook profile in which he claimed he would be willing to kill Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump and that the world would thank him for doing so according to a report published by ABC News on Thursday.

Emadeldin Elsayed, age 23, is being held in a jail in Orange County, California but has not yet been charged with any specific crime according to the report.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


His visa to study at Universal Air Academy was revoked prior to his arrest.

According to Elsayed's attorney, an immigration court hearing will determine whether US prosecutors will succeed in deporting him, ABC reported.

"It seems like the government was not able to get a criminal charge to stick on him, so they used the immigration process to have him leave the country," attorney Hani Bushra told ABC.

Elsayed's post included a photo of Trump and a declaration that he is willing to serve a life sentence in prison for killing Trump and that the world would thank him for the service.

The Egyptian student stated that he wrote the posts because he was angry over Trump's comments on preventing Muslims from entering the United States entirely and that he never actually intended to harm anyone.

Elsayed, originally from Cairo, has said he would like to complete his studies in the US but if that is not possible he will seek a refund and use the money for an education elsewhere.

In December of last year, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump called for a "total and complete shutdown" of all Muslims entering the United States should be put into place until Congress can act.

In a statement distributed to the press, Trump said that polling shows a "hatred" by Muslims toward Americans that could result in more attacks following the San Bernadino shooting spree which was carried out by two Muslims who authorities said were radicalized.

"Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension," Trump said in a statement. "Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life."

After facing international backlash, Trump defended his idea claiming his ideas were no worse than those of then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who oversaw the internment of more than 110,000 people in US government camps after Japanese forces bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

Reuters contributed to this report.


Related Content

final presidential debate
February 16, 2018
U.S. grand jury indicts 13 Russian nationals in election meddling probe

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 18
    Beer Sheva
    13 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 14
    Jerusalem
    13 - 17
    Haifa
  • 12 - 23
    Elat
    13 - 19
    Tiberias