Palestinians would be willing to accept a new Egyptian cease-fire proposal, but are awaiting an Israeli response, news agency AFP quoted a Palestinian official as saying on Monday.
"There is an idea for a temporary cease-fire that opens the crossings, allows aid and reconstruction material, and the disputed points will be discussed in a month," the senior Palestinian official told AFP in Cairo.
"We would be willing to accept this, but are waiting for the Israeli response to this proposal," he said.
AFP quoted an additional Palestinian official as saying that Egypt could invite all the sides to return to Cairo within the next 48 hours.
Israel has maintained that it will not hold negotiations of any kind while under fire. Dozens of rockets rained down on the Jewish state on Monday, mainly hitting the communities closest to the Gaza border.
Media reports early on Monday morning indicated that progress had been made in cease-fire talks in Cairo between Palestinians and Israel.
Palestinian news agency Ma'an reported that developments had been made that could clear the path for an agreement to be signed as soon as Monday morning.
According to Ma'an, Khaled al-Batsh
, an Islamic Jihad official said "a cease-fire is supposed to be signed within a few hours."The deputy leader of the Islamic Jihad, Ziad Nakhleh,
told Lebanese Al Mayadeen TV that "we have decided a zero-hour, and it will happen within a few hours."
Hamas official Osama Hamdan said "there has been positive and fast progress in cease-fire talks in the past few hours."