Colombia rescuers search for landslide victims, over 60 dead

May 19, 2015 21:55

SALGAR, Colombia - Colombian rescuers on Tuesday continued searching for victims of a landslide that sent torrents of water and mud crashing onto a neighborhood in the town of Salgar, killing more than 60 people and injuring dozens in the worst disaster of its kind for a decade.

Rescue efforts using search dogs resumed at dawn after being suspended overnight to find a still unknown number of people missing since the landslide in the early hours of Monday morning.

The national disaster unit said in a statement that 64 were killed and at least 40 others had been treated for injuries. The homes of more than 500 people were destroyed or damaged.

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos visited the affected area on Monday and declared a public emergency, freeing up relief funds for victims.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 23, 2018
Prosecutor says one person arrested after southern France attack


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    20 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 18 - 18
    18 - 20
  • 25 - 32
    20 - 23