Don't miss the inspiring speeches at The Jerusalem Post Conference
Deal to evacuate Syrian Islamist fighters is halted, Hezbollah TV reports
ByREUTERS
December 26, 2015 13:26

A UN-sponsored deal to give safe passage to more than 2,000 Islamic State fighters and other hardline insurgents holed up in rebel-held south Damascus neighborhoods has been suspended, Lebanese Hezbollah's TV station said on Saturday.

It said the deal fell through after a top rebel commander, Zahran Alloush, was killed in an air strike on Friday. The convoy carrying the fighters had been due to pass through territory he controlled en route to their ultimate destination of Raqqa, the de facto capital of Islamic State in northern Syria.

The TV report said coaches that had arrived on Friday to pick up the fighters and at least 1,500 family members had turned back.

Share this article via
from around the web
Related Content
Breaking news
March 29, 2017
Police union warns Trump 'sanctuary city' cuts could risk safety

By REUTERS

Top Stories
Israel Weather
  • 15 - 29
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 24
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 23
    Jerusalem
    15 - 22
    Haifa
  • 21 - 30
    Elat
    15 - 26
    Tiberias