German court dismisses case against Nazi guard over lost evidence

ByREUTERS
January 8, 2014 18:00




HAGEN, Germany - A German court dismissed a case on Wednesday against a 92-year-old man accused of killing a Dutch resistance fighter in World War Two when he was in Hitler's elite Waffen SS, citing lost evidence.

At the end of one of Germany's last Nazi war crimes trials, the judge in the court in the western city of Hagen said the case had to be dropped because too much evidence had been lost in the seven decades since the event.

Prosecutors had argued at the trial, which started in September, that Siert Bruins killed a Dutch citizen, Aldert Klaas Dijkema, who was suspected of working for the resistance against German occupation of the Netherlands in September 1944.

Related Content
Breaking news
September 20, 2017
Trump says he has made decision on Iran deal, declines to say what it is

By REUTERS