CAIRO - A Cairo court on Saturday ordered Egypt's former president Hosni Mubarak released on charges of illicit gains, the second release order for him in a week, but he will remain in detention because he still faces other charges, security and court sources said.
The appeal hearing on Saturday was held in Torah prison, to where 84-year-old Mubarak was transferred from an army hospital on Wednesday after an apparent improvement in his fragile health.
Earlier this week, a judge ordered Mubarak's release on bail pending a retrial over charges of complicity in the murder of protesters in the 2011 uprising that unseated him, but court officials said he would remain in detention over graft charges.
The country's public prosecutor, appointed by new Islamist president, Mohamed Morsi, on Saturday filed an appeal against the second order to release Mubarak, a security source said.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders