Report: Lebanon charges 28 with planning suicide attacks

By REUTERS
July 7, 2014 18:29




BEIRUT - A Lebanese public prosecutor has charged 28 people with planning to carry out suicide bomb attacks and belonging to the militant group Islamic State, Lebanon's state news agency said on Monday.

The move comes after three bombings in Lebanon late last month and a security crackdown in the capital Beirut and other parts of the country.

Lebanon has suffered a wave of sectarian violence linked to the conflicts in Syria and Iraq, which are fighting insurgencies and have lost control of large tracts of land to Islamic State, a powerful jihadi militant group straddling the border.

Seven of the 28 charged on Monday are in custody, the agency said. The prosecutor at the military court charged the group with buying equipment to carry out attacks in residential areas of Beirut and for supplying it to potential bombers.


Related Content
Breaking news
November 25, 2017
Bangladesh says agreed with Myanmar for UNHCR to assist Rohingya's return

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 10 - 17
    Jerusalem
    14 - 20
    Haifa
  • 15 - 25
    Elat
    14 - 24
    Tiberias