Report that Netanyahu may renege on budget deal angers Arab leaders

By
January 6, 2016 05:05
1 minute read.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s decision to appoint Likud ministers Ze’ev Elkin and Yarin Levin to oversee enforcement of conditions for the NIS 10-15 billion budget deal for the sector enraged Arab leaders on Tuesday.

The conditions are expected to include issues of law enforcement and compliance with building regulations, Channel 2 reported on Monday evening. However, the Prime Minister’s Office responded soon after that “there is no change” in the deal.

After Channel 2 released the report, MK Yousef Jabareen (Joint List) told The Jerusalem Post that the funds that would be transferred to the Arab community through this plan “are an integral part of our right to equality, with the aim of addressing past injustices.”

The extra budget for the sector “is not a privilege, but a right. So we reject any conditions on these budgets and will struggle to make sure the full plan is implemented,” he said.

“Instead of expanding the plan according to our demands, he is threatening to limit its scope. This is a cause for worry about the seriousness of Netanyahu to fully implement the plan.”

Jabareen added that Arabs are upset over the report that Netanyahu is reconsidering the deal reached with Arab leadership last week.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 22, 2018
ISIS claims responsibility for Kabul blast

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 12 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 11 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 20
    Haifa
  • 17 - 29
    Elat
    14 - 27
    Tiberias