Somali-American to plead guilty to recruiting for ISIS

September 16, 2015 23:59

MINNEAPOLIS - A Somali-American man from Minnesota is expected to plead guilty in connection with a federal investigation into recruiting of young people by Islamic State militants, according to a filing in US federal court on Wednesday.

Zacharia Yusuf Abdurahman is scheduled to appear in court in Minneapolis at midday on Thursday for a change-of-plea hearing and would become the second defendant in the case to enter a guilty plea in September. It was unclear what the plea would cover.

Hanad Musse, 19, pleaded guilty last week before US District Judge Michael Davis to conspiring to provide material support to Islamic State. Abdurahman's hearing is also scheduled before Davis.

Abdurahman and Musse are part of a larger group of Somali-American friends and relatives, all US citizens, who federal prosecutors have said were conspiring to leave the United States and join the militant group.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 23, 2018
Police kill attacker at supermarket in southern France, says source


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 38
    Beer Sheva
    20 - 36
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 18 - 31
    18 - 32
  • 25 - 35
    20 - 34