Air Force fighter jets struck two targets in Gaza early on Saturday in response
to a double-Grad rocket attack on Ashdod that shattered a six-day
Friday’s Palestinian rocket- fire triggered warning sirens in
the southern port city on Friday, and sent residents fleeing for cover. The
rockets exploded in open areas, failing to cause injuries or
damages.RELATED:Reality Check: Last thing we need is a 2nd round in GazaVideo: Iron Dome intercepts Grad rocket fired from Gaza
Hours later, warplanes flew over Gaza and struck two terror
targets, an IDF spokesman said.
“An accurate strike was identified, and
the planes returned to base safely,” the spokesman added.
No details were
provided on the targets that were struck.
“The IDF will not tolerate fire
on the South, and views Hamas as being responsible,” said the
Palestinian sources did not report any injuries in Gaza
following the air strikes, and it was not immediately clear which organization
in Gaza fired the rockets.
Some reports suggested al- Qaida-affiliated
Salafi jihadi members had fired the Grads in spite of a Hamas order to all armed
factions to respect the cease-fire.
On Friday night, Channel 10 news said
Hamas sent a message to Israel saying it was “doing everything” to halt rocket
attacks on southern Israel. The message, reportedly sent last week, was aimed at
preventing a wider IDF offensive in Gaza following an escalation in
Channel 10 said the message was sent to Israel by senior Hamas
figure Mahmoud Zahar, via Egypt.
Last month, OC Southern Command
Maj.-Gen. Tal Russo said Hamas was losing control of Gaza, and that small
radical organizations were creating anarchy in the Strip.
Ashdod were partially filled on Saturday, with some residents choosing to enjoy
the sunshine despite Friday’s rockets, according to media
Others, however, chose to remain at home.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!