Two Syrian mortars slammed into Mount Hermon on Wednesday morning, marking the
first time that the area has been hit since the start of the Syrian civil war
two years ago.
Following the incident, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Benny
Gantz held consultations with senior defense officials.
The IDF’s policy
on Syria continues to be to try and contain the incidents stemming from across
the northern border.
The shells exploded in open areas, failing to cause
damages or injuries. The IDF is still seeking to determine whether the shells
were fired deliberately, or were part of a battle between rebels and the Syrian
“We still don’t know with certainty either way,” a senior security
source told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday.
“We can’t say for sure that
it was erroneous firing, but neither can we be sure that it was deliberate. This
area has not been hit before. We are checking it,” the source added.
IDF is hoping to have more information in the coming days.
lodged a complaint with the United Nations Disengagement Observation Force
The army instructed the Mount Hermon tourist site to close off
the area for several hours on Wednesday morning.
The site was later
“I don’t feel tension. The fact is we are here as usual,”
cyclist Ariel Hermshleg told Channel 2 News.
Last week, on two separate
days, mortars from Syria landed in the Golan Heights. The IDF believed that they
were not fired at Israel deliberately.
On Sunday, Syrian rebels freed
four Filipino UN peacekeepers whom they had captured on the cease-fire line
between Syria and the Golan Heights.
A group of 21 Filipino UN
peacekeepers were taken hostage and released in March raising concerns that the
fighting in Syria was spilling over into the Golan.
Also on Wednesday, a
rocket fired from Gaza exploded in a field in the Eshkol Regional Council in the
South, triggering an air raid siren.
The rocket failed to cause injuries
Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!