Israel’s embassy welcomes serious investigation By Benjamin Weinthal and Reuters A third suspect has been identified in the bombing of a bus that killed five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian bus driver in the Black Sea city of Burgas in 2012. Bulgaria’s government attributed the terrorist act to the Lebanese militia Hezbollah.
A spokeswoman for Israel’s embassy in Sofia told the Jerusalem Post on Thursday “The Israeli embassy welcomes everybody who has given information about the identity of the involved terrorists in the attack in Burgas. The exposure of the information by the Chief Prosecutor of Bulgaria only indicates the determination of the investigation into the terrorists attacks in Burgas.”
Chief Prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov told reporters on Thursday,"Two individuals were previously established. They are now three." "The identification of the new suspect will extend the investigation and there will be new requests for legal help from abroad... It means we will need just a little more time," Tsatsarov said. He did not give any more details.
The tourists had arrived on a charter flight from Israel and were in the bus in the airport parking lot when the blast tore through the vehicle, also killing the Bulgarian driver and wounding more than 30 people.
Bulgarian authorities previously named two men of Lebanese origin as suspects and said it believed the Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah was behind the bombing.
The European Union last July put the armed wing of Hezbollah on its terrorism blacklist over the incident.
Prosecutors in November said they aimed to wrap up the investigation by the end of April.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders