At least 14 killed in Afghanistan suicide attack

Suicide bomber in police uniform attacks NATO patrol in Afghanistan's volatile eastern Khost; 37 civilians injured.

By REUTERS
October 1, 2012 10:51
1 minute read.
US soldier Afghanistan

US soldier Afghanistan 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)

KABUL - A suicide bomber killed 14 people, including three NATO soldiers and four police, and wounded 37 in Afghanistan's volatile eastern Khost province on Monday, a NATO spokeswoman and local officials said.

Six civilians and an Afghan interpreter also died in the attack.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


A witness told Reuters a suicide bomber wearing a police uniform struck as US soldiers patrolled the city of Khost. A NATO spokeswoman confirmed only that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.

Provincial Governor Abdul Jabar Nahimi said the bomber had been riding a motorcycle packed with explosives and 37 civilians were wounded in the blast.

The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility, although Afghan insurgents are quick to claim any successful attack on foreign troops as their own.

The bombing followed the killing of two Americans on Sunday in an exchange of fire with Afghan forces that took the death toll of US military and civilian personnel to over 2,000 in the 11-year war.

Insider attacks by members of the Afghan security forces against NATO allies have resulted in 52 deaths this year among foreign forces and this month prompted a tightening of rules for joint patrols between coalition and Afghan forces.


Related Content

Palestinian activist Rasmieh Yousef Odeh
February 24, 2018
Palestinian ex-terrorist deported from US invited to speak in Amsterdam

By JTA

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 21
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 19
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 15
    Jerusalem
    11 - 17
    Haifa
  • 14 - 26
    Elat
    11 - 21
    Tiberias