BERLIN – Bulgarian authorities released new evidence on Tuesday about the amount
of explosives used in the alleged Hezbollah bombing of an Israeli tour bus in
the Black Sea city of Burgas in July, which resulted in the deaths of five
Israelis, their Bulgarian bus driver and the suspected Hezbollah
According to Bulgarian media reports, the bomb contained three
kg. of TNT explosives.
“The final details such as the exact position of
the bomber at the time of the explosion will be established by the reenactment
scheduled for April 26 at the Ihtiman training ground, when two buses with
dummies as passengers will be blown up,” the Sofia News Agency
“The bomber attempted to put the explosives in the bus luggage
compartment, while others say he stood near the door,” the news agency added
from witness accounts.
Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry’s Technical
Operations Directorate is slated to conduct the bombing exercise.
after [the attack], Iran withdrew its ambassador to Bulgaria, Gholamreza Bagheri
Moghadam, and has not appointed a successor yet,” the Sofia News Agency
Iran’s government previously denied a diplomatic rift between Iran
and Bulgaria over the Burgas report and rejected media reports that said Tehran
recalled its ambassador.
Iran’s state-controlled Fars News reported in
February that Iranian career diplomat Abdollah Norouzi will replace Moghadam as
Iran’s new ambassador.
Moghadam denied Iranian involvement in the Burgas
The Jerusalem Post reported on Monday that a Washington
Institute for Near East Policy report titled “Hezbollah and the Qods Force in
Iran’s Shadow War with the West,” stated, “within days after the explosion in
Burgas – while the investigation into the bombing and the search for accomplices
was at its height – Bulgarian authorities reportedly caught a Qods Force
operative scoping out a synagogue in the country’s capital.”
Force is an Iranian militia responsible for global terrorism, according to the
US and Israeli intelligence officials attributed the
Burgas attack to a joint Iran- Hezbollah operation. The Islamic Republic of Iran
is Hezbollah’s main financial sponsor.
Tsvetan Tsvetanov, then- Bulgarian
interior minister, announced in February that Hezbollah operatives had been
responsible for the Burgas bus attack that killed six. Tsvetanov said the two
suspected perpetrators “were members of the militant wing of Hezbollah” and
added that investigators had found information “showing the financing and
connection between Hezbollah and the two suspects.”
The EU’s 27-member
body is currently considering an inclusion of Hezbollah on its terror list.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!