Education minister presents NIS 22 million ‘cultural basket’ for pupils
ByLidar Gravé-Lazi
21 February 2016 01:28
Until now, most students attended cultural events that were not subsidized, or saw few shows, according to the Education Ministry.
Minister Naftali

Education Minister Naftali Bennett teaching math to students in Petah Tikva, May 28.. (photo credit:COURTESY EDUCATION MINISTRY)

Education Minister Naftali Bennett has unveiled a NIS 22 million expanded culture basket for the education system.

The plan, which includes a NIS 6m.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.



increase, allows for nearly all cultural events in the country to be subsidized by the Education Ministry and will include some 800,000 pupils – subsidizing shows for an additional 300,000 youngsters.

“Today we are opening theatrical shows to all the children in the country,” Bennett said on Thursday.

Until now, most students attended cultural events that were not subsidized, or saw few shows, according to the Education Ministry.

When there were subsidized cultural events, the number was limited and could not always meet the educational needs of schools.

The new program aims to provide more subsidized cultural events to more pupils throughout the country. It is set to be implemented in the 5777 (2016/2017) academic year.

The current basket consists of around 1,200 shows and is limited to those approved by a repertoire committee.

The new basket seeks to include some 6,000 cultural shows; school principals will be allowed to choose up to 70 percent of the performances their pupils attend. The remaining 30 percent will be chosen based on the repertoire committee’s recommendations.

Bennett said that the changes will “encourage artists to create new works,” and “encourage school principals to take the initiative” and choose the plays for their students.

“There is no reason why children cannot see good shows that the principals want them to see,” he said.

The new outline also seeks to increase the number of localities receiving the subsidies from 100 to 170, with an emphasis on the periphery. A differential budget will seek to ensure that money is allocated to the periphery, according to a local authority’s status and number of students.

“This is a plan that each child will benefit from, and thanks to it I believe that we will provide children with new cultural experiences that will bring a wealth of cultural and artistic treasures,” Bennett said.
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin

Tags:
  • Israel news
  • israel education
  • education ministry
  • Prev Article
    Portuguese planner gives tips for Tel Aviv’s light rail
    Israeli teens play music as a light rail tram passes by in Jerusalem
    Maccabi Tel Aviv midfielder Eran Zahavi scored his 100th goal in a 3-0 win at Hapoel Haifa
    Yellow-and-blue cuts gap from Beersheba
    Next Article
    Share this article via
    from around the web
    Related Content
    Benjamin Netanyahu
    17 January 2017
    Netanyahu: Campaign to topple government is outrageous

    By JEREMY SHARON

    Top Stories
    Israel Weather
    • 10 - 22
      Beer Sheva
      12 - 21
      Tel Aviv - Yafo
    • 10 - 15
      Jerusalem
      11 - 17
      Haifa
    • 13 - 23
      Elat
      13 - 21
      Tiberias