Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon speaks at INSS conference.
(photo credit: ARIEL HERMONI / DEFENSE MINISTRY)
Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon ordered the IDF to examine security arrangements around southern communities, following his decision to freeze an earlier move aimed at cutting back on the number of security guards protecting communities that border the Strip.
Ya’alon ordered the Defense Ministry to freeze the planned cutback until January 1, and asked the army and ministry to closely examine security arrangements around southern communities, in light of lessons learned from the recent Gaza war, security sources said.
Avi Naim, chairman of the Union of Local Authorities and head of the Beit Aryeh Regional Council, welcomed the decision, calling it the “right step that needed to be taken. Now we must examine ways to improve the standing and authority of the guards as a most important security element.”
Earlier this week, a security guard near Alumim, close to Gaza, apprehended an 18-year-old Palestinian who infiltrated the country from the Strip.
The suspect was armed with a knife and a knuckle-duster. For months, local authority officials in the South have campaigned to reverse the ministry’s decision to decrease the number of security guards in the area. The officials said the guards formed a vital component and a last layer of defense against terrorists from Gaza.