Jerusalem Report

Whose gas is it?

It is vital that development of Israel’s gas fields should move ahead rapidly

Protest against natural gas export
Photo by: RONI SCHUTZER / FLASH 90
At its regular Sunday meeting on June 23, the Cabinet decided to authorize the retention of 60 percent of the country’s natural gas reserves, or 540 billion cubic meters (BCM), for domestic use, with the remaining 40 percent to be exported.

The decision was carried by a vote of 18 to 3, with only Environmental Protection Minister Amir Peretz, Communications Minister Gilad Erdan and Health Minister Yael German opposing the move. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the decision would meet Israel’s natural gas needs for the next 29 years, and also add $60 billion in tax and royalty revenues over the coming two decades.



Read More...
   
Jpost.com, the online edition of the Jerusalem Post Newspaper - the most read and best-selling English-language newspaper in Israel. For analysis and opinion from Israel, the Jewish World and the Middle East. Jpost.com offers expert and in-depth reporting from Israel, the Jewish World and the Middle East, including diplomacy and defense, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, the Arab Spring, the Mideast peace process, politics in Israel, life in Jerusalem, Israel's international affairs, Iran and its nuclear program, Syria and the Syrian civil war, Lebanon, the Palestinian Authority, the West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israel's world of business and finance, and Jewish life in Israel and the Diaspora.

All rights reserved © The Jerusalem Post 1995 - 2014