iran warship 311.
(photo credit: Associated Press)
An Egyptian official from the Suez Canal Authority confirmed Sunday that the authority has decided to allow two Iranian naval vessels to transit the canal.
The official said that the vessels were due to arrive at the southern part of the canal later Sunday and will enter the Mediterranean on Monday morning.
Navy on alert as two Iranian warships transit Suez Canal
'Iranian nuclear facility recovered quickly from Stuxnet'
Peres: Ahmadinejad a shame upon Iranian history
The Egyptian approval follows a weekend of mixed reports as to whether Egyptian authorities had approved the vessels' passage or not.
On Saturday, an Egyptian source said that approval had not been granted and the two ships neither reached the southern entrance of the canal, nor the waiting area.
State-run news agency MENA had said Friday that authorities in Egypt
approved the request to let the navy ships cross, after Iranian
diplomats offered assurances that the two ships won't have weapons or
nuclear or chemical material.
The move had been widely expected
and Iranian officials have insisted the request is in line with
international regulations. They said the two vessels are headed to Syria
Last week, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman
first called attention to the Iranian intentions during a speech to the
Conference of President of Major American Jewish Organizations, terming
the move a “provocation” and calling on the world to “put the Iranians
in their place.”