"Jihadi John," the Briton named Mohammed Emwazi.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
"Jihadi John," the menacing British national who appeared in Islamic State propaganda clips taunting the West just before beheading bound hostages, is back.
The British newspaper Daily Mail obtained a video clip on Sunday showing the man who has been identified as 27-year-old Mohammed Emwazi, a resident of London, threatening to return to the United Kingdom and commit more atrocities in the name of radical Islam.
The clip is the first time Emwazi has been seen publicly since January, when he was filmed brutally beheading Japanese hostage Kenji Goto. It is significant in that it is also the only known video in which Emwazi's face is seen exposed.
The Daily Mail
reported that it had obtained the clip from Free Syrian Army fighters who gave it to their supporters in Europe.
"I will carry on cutting heads," Emwazi reportedly said in the clip. "I am Mohammed Emwazi. I will soon go back to Britain with the khalifa (the leader of ISIS)."
According to a report which appeared in last month's The Mirror
, Emwazi fled ISIS after he was identified as the murderer of American and British hostages.
Emwazi is a Kuwaiti-born Londoner who emigrated to Britain in 1988 at the age of six. He has murdered multiple foreign journalists, including two Americans, Steven Sotloff and James Foley.
A former ISIS translator told Sky News in March that Emwazi was then seen as the Islamic State group's chief executioner and was both feared and respected in the organization.
But now, according to the Mirror, Emwazi is believed to fear that his unmasking identification by the foreign media has "diminished his value as an ISIS killer and that jealous fellow jihadists might plot against him."