Meet the most influential figures in the Jewish world
West Bank stone-throwing leaves 2 wounded
By
August 6, 2012 01:45
J'lem court frees 23 activists on bail charged with throwing stones at Palestinian vehicles near Ramat Migron outpost.
DONKEY rests near the Ramat Migron outpost

DONKEY rests near the Ramat Migron outpost 370. (photo credit:Ronen Zvulun/Reuters)

A Jerusalem court on Sunday freed on bail 23 right-wing activists arrested Saturday on charges of throwing stones at Palestinian vehicles on Route 60 near the fledgling Ramat Migron outpost.

According to the Jerusalem Magistrates Court, 22 out of the 23 were minors. The court issued injunctions mandating that the activists stay away from Ramat Migron for 60 days, unless they could prove it was their place of residence.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The activists were also charged with entering a closed military zone. They were freed on bail of NIS 500 to NIS 5,000.

According to the court, a Palestinian was injured by the stone-throwing. A police officer was injured during the arrests.

According to the Border Police, officers found stonethrowing paraphernalia at the scene. The spokesman said that there were two incidents of stone-throwing, separated by an hour. In the second, the activists’ faces were covered.

The Ramat Migron outpost is located on the same hilltop as the Migron outpost, which is due to be evacuated later this month, but they are not connected.

Chanamel Dorfman of Ramat Migron denied the charges of stone-throwing, and instead claimed the police had come to Ramat Migron to harass the scores of teens who had gathered there for Shabbat.

Dorfman said that the police and Border Police came to Ramat Migron three times in the span of 24 hours – first at 1 a.m. on Saturday, then at 5 p.m. and then just after Shabbat ended. The arrests occurred at 5 p.m.

Dorfman further charged that the security forces had destroyed one of the temporary wooden structures in the small outpost. He provided The Jerusalem Post with 11 photos of the demolished structure.

In a separate incident, security forces on Saturday destroyed a temporary structure in the fledgling Mitzpe Avihai outpost outside of the Kiryat Arba settlement.

MK Michael Ben-Ari (National Union) on Sunday wrote a letter to Shas ministers in which he complained that the Border Police had desecrated Shabbat by demolishing structures.

He asked them to clarify if the rabbinical leaders supported demolitions on Shabbat.

But according to the Border Police spokesman, the Mitzpe Avihai demolition did not involve a home, or even a permanent structure, but a temporary construction more like a succa.

Both the spokesman and the Civil Administration of Judea and Samaria said there is a policy against home demolitions on Shabbat.

He denied reports that a wooden structure had been demolished at the Ramat Migron outpost on Saturday.
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin

Tags:
  • West Bank
  • shabbat
  • Prev Article
    Peres begins 3-day state visit to Greece
    President Shimon Peres
    ETHIOPIAN RESIDENTS at Mevaseret Zion
    Ethiopians demonstrate against rent hikes
    Next Article
    Share this article via
    from around the web
    Related Content
    Riot
    August 31, 2014
    Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

    By DANIEL K. EISENBUD

    Top Stories
    Israel Weather
    • 8 - 16
      Beer Sheva
      9 - 17
      Tel Aviv - Yafo
    • 6 - 14
      Jerusalem
      8 - 16
      Haifa
    • 11 - 20
      Elat
      9 - 20
      Tiberias