Last remaining seats to the Jpost 2017 Annual Conference! Get your special offer now

Tabib finally approved as Beitar’s new owner

July 3, 2013 02:36

Two weeks ago, the Jerusalem District Court approved the transfer of the club to Tabib’s hands after Gaydamak backed down from his initial refusal to sell him the club.


ELI TABIB 370. (photo credit:Adi Avishai)

Eli Tabib was confirmed as Beitar Jerusalem’s new owner on Tuesday, officially bringing to an end Arkadi Gaydamak’s eight years at the helm.

Two weeks ago, the Jerusalem District Court approved the transfer of the club to Tabib’s hands after Gaydamak backed down from his initial refusal to sell him the club.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

However, the final obstacle was only overcome on Tuesday when the Israel Football Association’s Budget Control Authority ratified the purchase.

The Budget Control Authority ruled that even though Tabib will only complete his year-long cooling down period since selling Hapoel Tel Aviv on July 18, he can already begin to run Beitar as the new season is just around the corner.

The BCA also decided that the charges Tabib faces for attacking a minor and disruption of justice relating to an incident outside his home last year during a protest by Hapoel fans doesn’t prohibit him from owning a club.

Should he be convicted, the matter will be reevaluated.

Gaydamak will not receive any money for Beitar, but Tabib, who has also previously owned Hapoel Kfar Saba, agreed to cover the club’s debts estimated at NIS 12.5 million for a 75 percent stake of the club, with the remaining 25% to be held by an organization of Beitar fans.

Tabib signed former Hapoel Ramat Gan coach Eli Cohen last week, but will now need to quickly assemble a squad, with only five players currently under contract for 2013/14.

Tabib has also got plenty of issues to deal with off the field after Beitar’s first training session ahead of the new season was overshadowed on Monday by violent scenes at Bayit Vegan.

Around 3,000 fans attended what is usually a celebratory occasion and the vast majority cheered the depleted squad.

However, after the players returned to the dressing room, a group of fans swore, spat and threw rocks at goalkeeper Ariel Harush and midfielder Dario Fernandez, attacking them for their support of Chechen Muslims Dzhabrail Kadiyev and Zaur Sadayev last season.

Harush and Fernandez required a police escort to leave the complex, with the Argentinian seriously considering leaving the club due to the incident.

Fernandez, who is not under contract, didn’t show up for Tuesday’s training session, which was only attended by a handful of supporters. However, Harush returned to Bayit Vegan, but admitted he didn’t sleep well at night.

“I’d rather not say much at the moment. I believe everything will be fine,” said Harush, who refused to file a complaint with police. “I didn’t get much sleep at night and I just want to try and calm things down.”

In other news, Hapoel Beersheba unveiled midfielder Maor Buzaglo on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old made little impression in the past two seasons at Standard Liege in Belgium and will be hoping to reignite his career in Beersheba, which has also signed striker Elyaniv Barda.
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin

  • Israel news
  • Jerusalem
  • sports
  • soccer
  • beitar jerusalem
  • Share this article via
    from around the web
    Related Content
    dudi sela
    August 31, 2014
    Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov


    Top Stories
    Israel Weather
    • 13 - 26
      Beer Sheva
      17 - 22
      Tel Aviv - Yafo
    • 12 - 25
      15 - 23
    • 21 - 31
      18 - 34