Yair Lapid 370.(Photo by: Marc Israel Sellem/The Jerusalem Post)
Lapid: 10% of population threatening civil war
By LAHAV HARKOV, JPOST.COM STAFF
Yesh Atid leader makes first speech before Knesset, says haredi threats should not prevent equality in the service burden.
Yesh Atid leader Yair Lapid called for increased haredi enlistment in IDF and civil service in his first speech before the Knesset on Monday, saying that "we cannot avoid equality in the burden just because 10% of the population threatens the other 90% with a civil war."
Lapid added that the threat of a rift in society as a result of implementing a mandatory service law "empties the entire idea of democracy."
The Yesh Atid leader stated that the public had given its mandate to implement equality in the service burden in the Knesset election.
"This is is why the public voted us into this house so we can get over the fears and tension in the problems splitting Israeli society...We are ripped apart in enlistment, in the workforce. It's time to make a decision," he stated.
Lapid is currently in negotiations with Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to possibly join the coalition. Equality in the service burden was one of the central issues he campaigned on and is expected to figure prominently in whether or not he will join the coalition.
Sources close to Netanyahu said the prime minister wants to see Yesh Atid in his coalition together with haredi parties, as well as Bayit Yehudi, Kadima and The Tzipi Livni Party. The sources said Lapid and the haredi parties would have to compromise to bring that about.
Not Just News
Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved •