Last remaining seats to the Jpost 2017 Annual Conference! Get your special offer now

Dozens killed by al-Qaida mines in Yemen

ByREUTERS
June 30, 2012 16:50

SANAA - More than 50 Yemenis were killed by mines planted by al-Qaida-linked fighters as they fled two of their main strongholds in Yemen's restive south this month, the defense ministry said on Saturday.

Ansar al-Sharia, a group which swears allegiance to al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, seized control of several cities in Abyan province last year during a wave of protests that forced former President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down.



Yemen's army drove the militants out of the provincial capital Zinjibar and strategic city Jaar this month, a major breakthrough in a US-backed offensive aimed at securing stability in the wider oil-rich Gulf region.

The militants planted thousands of mines before they left the strongholds, the defense ministry said on its website, citing Ahmed Ghaleb al-Rahwi, the deputy governor of Abyan.

Share this article via
from around the web
Related Content
Breaking news
April 23, 2017
Stabbing attack leaves 4 wounded in Tel Aviv; motive remains unclear

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Top Stories
Israel Weather
  • 14 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 10 - 18
    Jerusalem
    14 - 18
    Haifa
  • 17 - 32
    Elat
    16 - 25
    Tiberias