Head of US nuclear security agency to step down

December 22, 2012 04:09

WASHINGTON - The head of the agency responsible for the US nuclear weapons stockpile said on Friday that he will leave his post in January, six months after three elderly peace activists broke into the government's maximum-security facility for weapons-grade uranium.

The departure of Thomas D'Agostino, the administrator at the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), has nothing to do with the security breach, an NNSA official said.

D'Agostino, who worked for the government for more than 36 years and had been head of the NNSA for more than five years, had been asked to stay in the job but declined, the official said.

In July, an 82-year-old nun and two other aging peace activists made their way past multiple layers of security and vandalized a building that was supposed to be one of the most secure complexes in the United States.

The review of the break-in at the Y-12 site in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, is still under way.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 18, 2018
Hamas downplays IDF achievement in destroying terror tunnel


Israel Weather
  • 15 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 28
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 25
    16 - 26
  • 23 - 31
    16 - 31