NEW YORK - A Jordanian official said that reports in the Arab media of an alleged attack against a group of kipah-clad tourists in the town of Al Karak were false.
The Arab media accounts last week were reported by the Israeli news site Ynet and noted in a June 5 JTA news item. According to the reports, Jewish tourists were said to have been harassed and attacked by Al Karak locals, who chased away the tourists.
On Monday, Jordan's ambassador to the United States, Alia Bouran, said the story was untrue.
"We have contacted the relevant Jordanian authorities on this matter and I would like to convey to you that these reports have been found to be entirely false," Bouran wrote in a letter to the Anti-Defamation League, which had called on the Jordanian government to investigate the alleged incident. "Furthermore, I can assure you that Jordan takes such allegations very seriously and places great significance on promoting religious tolerance and interfaith harmony. We look forward to maintaining an excellent relationship with ADL."
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders