TRIPOLI - The president of Libya's Olympic Committee was freed on Sunday a week after he was taken from his car by gunmen in Tripoli, and is now in his home, his deputy said.
Nabil Elalem was with an colleague last Sunday when two cars carrying armed men in military-style clothing blocked the road, colleagues said. The men told him he had to go with them and sped away, leaving his colleague behind.
There had been no news about his whereabouts since.
"He was released at 6:30 a.m. (04:30 GMT) this morning. He is now at his home," Noureddin El-Krekshi, deputy chief of the committee, told Reuters, without giving details. "He is fine."
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders