A Somali-American Minnesota man arrested in San Diego as prosecutors said he prepared to travel to Syria to fight for the Islamic State has agreed to return to Minneapolis to face federal prosecution for conspiracy to aid a terrorist group.
Mohamed Farah, 21, waived both his rights to seek bail and to fight extradition on Friday in US District Court and will be returned to Minnesota, prosecutors said.
Farah is one of six Somali-American men from Minnesota
who prosecutors said were part of a larger group of friends and relatives who had been conspiring to join the Islamic State for the past 10 months, many trying multiple times to leave the country.
Four of the men were arrested in Minnesota
, capping a yearlong FBI investigation into would-be Islamic State recruits seeking to journey abroad, while two were arrested in California