Russia says tells US not to strike Syrian pro-government forces again

By REUTERS
June 10, 2017 23:53




Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit:JPOST STAFF)

Russia said on Saturday it had told the United States it was unacceptable for Washington to strike pro-government forces in Syria after the US military carried out an air strike on pro-Assad militia last month.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov relayed the message to US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a phone call on Saturday initiated by the U.S. side, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

US officials told Reuters last month that the US military carried out the air strike against militia supported by the government of President Bashar al-Assad which it said posed a threat to US forces and US-backed Syrian fighters in the country's south.

Russia said at the time that the US action would hamper efforts to find a political solution to the conflict and had violated the sovereignty of Syria, one of Russia's closest Middle East allies.

"Lavrov expressed his categorical disagreement with the US strikes on pro-government forces and called on him to take concrete measures to prevent similar incidents in future," the ministry said.

Related Content
Breaking news
October 19, 2017
Putin: doubts US strike on North Korea would destroy arsenal

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 35
    Beer Sheva
    19 - 32
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 17 - 29
    Jerusalem
    19 - 31
    Haifa
  • 21 - 36
    Elat
    20 - 35
    Tiberias