Syria investigator del Ponte quits, blaming UN Security Council

By REUTERS
August 6, 2017 19:36
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

GENEVA - A member of the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria said on Sunday she was quitting because a lack of political backing from the UN Security Council had made the job impossible, Swiss national news agency SDA reported.

Carla del Ponte, 70, who prosecuted war crimes in Rwanda and former Yugoslavia, told a panel discussion on the sidelines of the Locarno Film Festival that she had already prepared her letter of resignation.

"I am quitting this commission, which is not backed by any political will," she said, adding that her role was just an "alibi."

"I have no power as long as the Security Council does nothing," she said. "We are powerless, there is no justice for Syria."

Del Ponte, a former Swiss attorney general, joined the three-member Syria inquiry in September 2012, chronicling incidents such as chemical weapons attacks, a genocide against Iraq's Yazidi population, siege tactics, and the bombing of aid convoys.



Related Content

Breaking news
April 21, 2018
Report: Gunfire outside king's home in Saudi Arabia

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 21
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 28
    Tiberias