DUBAI - An Islamist terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the kidnap and killing of a Syrian television presenter and has threatened more attacks on supporters of Syrian President Bashar Assad, the SITE monitoring group which tracks Jihadist websites said on Sunday.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had said that Syrian state television presenter Mohammed al-Saeed, who was kidnapped from his home in mid-July, had been executed.
SITE said the Al Nusra Front stated in one of four communiques posted on Islamist forums on August 3 that it had kidnapped Saeed in Damascus province on July 19, and killed him after subjecting him to interrogation.
"Perhaps this operation and others will serve as an example to all who support this tyrannical regime, so that they may repent to God," SITE quoted the militant group as saying in a statement. "Otherwise, the swords of the mujahideen will cut off their heads and purify the Levant (Syria) from their obscenity."
It was not immediately possible to verify the claim from the group, which was unknown before it claimed responsibility for a series of bombings in Damascus and Aleppo that started in December.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders