ANKARA - Turkish armed forces statements over the loss of a warplane off the Syrian coast last month are fueling speculation the military may be revising its initial assertion the plane was shot down by Syrian air defenses in international airspace.
Turkish government spokesman Bulent Arinc, seeking to allay confusion over apparent contradictions emerging in official accounts of the plane's loss along with its two pilots, reasserted the original version to reporters on Thursday.
"It is better not to come to different conclusions by getting hung up on certain nuances. We are talking about an important subject. The Turkish jet was downed, the Syrian government which downed it has said 'we downed it'," he said.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!