Two Egyptian boys charged over Koran desecration incident

By REUTERS
October 3, 2012 21:24




CAIRO - Two Coptic Christian boys in Egypt accused of tearing up a copy of the Koran and of urinating on it have been placed in juvenile detention, a lawyer for the boys said on Wednesday.

A series of incidents involving religious insults, including protests last month over a film made in California that mocked the Prophet Mohammad, have increased tensions between Muslims and Christians in Egypt.

Residents of Marco village in the province of Beni Suef south of Cairo filed complaints against the two brothers, Mina Nadi, 9, and Nabil Nadi, 10, who were then detained on Tuesday and charged with blasphemy, lawyer Gamal Eid said.


Related Content
Breaking news
December 15, 2017
Turkish banker on trial denies helping Iran evade US sanctions

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 10 - 17
    Jerusalem
    12 - 20
    Haifa
  • 11 - 25
    Elat
    12 - 23
    Tiberias