Jordan has evidence that
rocket attacks that that killed a Jordanian and wounded three more on Monday originated in Egypt, a top Jordanian official said Tuesday.
For its part, Egypt has strongly denied that any of the rockets that
struck near Eilat, the
Red Sea, and Jordan came from its soil. A Jordanian government official said Jordan
had evidence that the rockets were fired from the Sinai, but would not
elaborate on its precise nature.
Analysis: Israel, Jordan fighting
want to thwart peace'
man dies in rocket attacks on Eilat area
The official insisted on anonymity citing diplomatic sensitivities because Jordan does not want to publicly embarrass Egypt.
He said Jordan did not believe it was the target of the rocket attack.
Hamas denied any
involvement Tuesday with the attacks that struck Monday
at the Intercontinental Hotel in Aqaba.
No terror group has yet
claimed responsibility for the attacks. Hamas asserted that "Israel
knows who fired the rockets," and US State Department Spokesman Philip
Crowley said the US had "strong suspicions" over who orchestrated the
attack, suggesting the rockets were intended to derail the peace
accused Israel of "looking for excuses to resume attacks on the Gaza
Strip," saying "we had no connection with the rocket attacks on Eilat.
We do not want a war."
A General in the reserves rejected the denial in an interview on Army
Radio Tuesday morning, alleging that "Hamas joined the Muslim
Brotherhood, and perhaps Global Jihad [in the attack], and their aim is
to harm Israel."
Reports so far have listed Global Jihad as a potential suspect for the
attack, which, like Hamas, is known to train and operate in the Sinai.
Egypt Monday denied that the attacks had come from the Sinai, saying it was "impossible" that the rockets originated in Egypt.