Some 200 guests responded to the joint invitation of Dr. Michael Häupl, Mayor and Governor of Vienna, Mr. Efi Stenzler, World Chairman of KKL and Mr. Viktor Wagner, President of KKL Austria and on March 3rd 2012 attended the pre-opening of the exhibition “The Vienna Woods in Israel” - 110 Years of Keren Kayemeth Leisrael, which was held in the festive hall of the Jewish Museum in Vienna.
The exhibition’s title “The Vienna Woods in Israel” was chosen as a tribute to the "Vienna Woods" in Israel, a section of the Yatir Forest in the Negev which was donated by the City of Vienna and Dr. Michael Häupl in 2000.
The guest list included KKL-JNF donors and sponsors, members of the Jewish community as well as officials and prominent personalities of Vienna.
The exhibition “The Vienna Woods in Israel” shows the history of KKL-JNF from its beginning at the 5th Zionist Congress in Basel, and explains the connection to Vienna. The first World Chairman of KKL-JNF was Johann (Yonah) Kremenezky, a Viennese industrialist and therefore the first head office was located in Vienna. Kremenezky initiated and implemented the Blue Box, the organisation’s symbol, and many different Blue Boxes are on display. A very special piece on display is a KKL-JNF Box in Art Deco style, which the chief Rabbi of Vienna, Zvi Perez Chajes, received as a present from the Jewish community in Trieste in 1919. On display are also some covers of the Golden Book andthe very first page of the first Golden Book with signatures of Theodor Herzl and other important personalities of the time.
For further information, comments or permission please contact
KKL-JNF – Information and Publications
Phone: 972-2-6583354 Fax:972-2-6583493