Photo by: Avigdor Shatran
Iran denies involvement in Bulgaria bus bombing
After Hezbollah's denial of involvement in Burgas attack, Tehran says it is "against any form of terrorism."
SOFIA - Iran played no part in the bombing of a bus last year that killed Israeli tourists, its ambassador to Bulgaria said on Friday, rejecting
that it was involved in the attack.
Bulgaria has accused the Iranian-backed Hezbollah
of carrying out the July attack, a charge the
Lebanese Shi'ite Islamist movement dismissed
as part of a smear campaign by its arch foe Israel.
"This (the attack) has nothing to do with Iran," Gholamreza Bageri told reporters. "We are against any form of terrorism and strongly condemn such actions."
Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu this week accused Hezbollah and Iran of waging a "global terror campaign" after the attack in Burgas, which killed five Israeli tourists, their Bulgarian driver and the bomber.
Given the link to an attack on European Union soil,
Brussels is considering adding Hezbollah
- which is part of the Lebanese government and waged a brief war with Israel in 2006 - to its list of terrorist organizations.
The United States already lists Hezbollah as a terrorist group and US and Israeli authorities want the European Union to take a similar position, which would mean Brussels could act to freeze its assets in Europe.
Not Just News
Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2014 Jpost Inc. All rights reserved •