A woman and her daughter were killed in a house fire that broke out in the early
hours of Monday morning in the woman’s apartment on Arlozorov Street in Tel
Firefighters received a call at 2:50 a.m. that smoke was pouring
out of an apartment on the fourth floor of a building on Arlozorov Street. Two
fire teams arrived to the scene and kicked open the door, and found one woman
lying near the apartment entrance showing no sign of life. Further inside,
closer to the mother’s bedroom, they found the elderly woman also showing no
signs of life.
Both women were pronounced dead due to smoke inhalation by
Magen David Adom paramedics.
Ran Shemesh, chief fire investigator for the
Fire and Rescue Services, said they have determined that the fire was most
likely caused by a reading lamp that fell on a mattress in the mother’s room,
which quickly caught fire.
Shemesh said the blaze indicates the danger
posed by flammable mattresses, which he said have been the cause of fires that
have killed six people in Israel so far this year.
Shemesh said imported
mattresses are not adequately regulated or inspected and contain materials that
are highly flammable and produce a thick, noxious smoke when they catch fire.
Also, the air inside the mattresses ensures a continued fuel source for the
Shemesh said the public should keep this danger in mind and make
sure that electrical appliances like lamps, laptops, or even cell phone chargers
are kept far from the surface of their mattresses.
The public should also
purchase smoke detectors for at least their bedrooms, Shemesh said, which could
easily save their lives.