print gohome
jpost
 
Print Edition
Photo by: MAI GETNOI
Two rockets land in Eilat, cause light injuries and damage
By JPOST.COM STAFF
15/07/2014
Three people lightly injured from glass shards after rocket lands in building parking lot; 17 people treated for shock.
 


Two rockets landed in Eilat during the early morning hours of Tuesday. One of the rockets landed in a building parking lot.

Reuters reported that the rockets were launched from Egypt, citing Israeli security officials. The officials said the salvo was fired by Islamist militants in the Egyptian Sinai and meant to upstage Cairo's efforts to mediate a truce ending a week-old shelling war between Israel and the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, according to Reuters.

MDA said that three people were lightly injured from glass shards and were taken to the Yoseftal Hospital in Eilat. The injured included a woman in her 60's and a man and a woman in their 20's. 

Seventeen other people were treated for shock.

On Monday night, a rocket fired from Lebanon landed in an open area near Rosh Hanikra and the border between the two countries.

There were no reports of injuries or damage in the attack north of Nahariya.

IDF artillery forces fired a salvo of shells and flares at source of recent rocket attack from Lebanon on Monday night, the military said.

It was the fourth time rockets have been fired from Lebanon since the start of a week-old Israeli offensive against Palestinian terrorists firing rockets at Israel from Gaza.

In the early hours of Monday morning around 12:30 a.m., Code Red sirens blared in Israel's northern city of Nahariyah as two Katyusha rockets launched from Lebanon landed in open territory.

IDF artillery responded by targeting the launch site in Lebanon.

That rockets followed a previous rocket from Syria that was fired and landed in an open area of the Golan Heights earlier on Sunday night. No injuries or damage were reported.

The IDF reported that the rocket was deliberately fired from Syria at Israel.

Meanwhile in the country's south, Code Red sirens continued to blare in southern communities as rocket as Egypt announced that the government in Cairo had proposed a ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinian groups in the Gaza Strip according to which the two sides would end “hostilities” as of 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Reuters contributed to this report.

print gohome
print
All rights reserved © 1995 - 2012 The Jerusalem Post.