Submissions for FYI should be typed or written clearly in English and include the name of the sponsoring organization, event type, date, time, location, cost, and a contact telephone number. Deadline for all FYI items and promotional materials – including photos – is 8 p.m. Thursday, the week before (eight days before the item is expected to appear in FYI). Please update details for all Ongoing Activities. E-mail: [email protected] Metro can no longer accept faxed submissions.
• July 1: Yarid Shira, in memory of Shira Dinur, who died recently at age 26 from pulmonary hypertension. In Park Ra’anana, next to the lake, from 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. Help raise awareness of this disease as well as money to help sufferers while enjoying a variety of stalls; a children’s carnival, a raffle, a silent auction and free workshops. Organized by friends of Shira, the Ra’anana Municipality and the PH organization in Israel. More information at: www.yaridshira.com
• July 25-28: Advanced Japanese painting workshop, “The Lotus and the Water Lily.” Wilfrid Museum for Asian Art - Hazorea. To register: (04) 989- 9566; 052-399-0566 AACI NETANYA Upcoming Events Unless otherwise noted, AACI Netanya events take place at 28 Shmuel Hanatziv St., Netanya. Details and/or reservations (09) 833-0950, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
• June 30: Storytelling with Teddy. Members NIS 10; nonmembers NIS 15.
AACI Ongoing Events
• Sunday: Exercises for women with Orly Sasson. 8:45-9:30 a.m.
• Sunday afternoon Hebrew Literature class (call for details) • Monday: Art with Gypsy Ron. 9.30-12 noon • Monday: Hebrew Conversation with Atara Hadad. 9.30 a.m.-12.30 p.m.
• Monday: Conditioning Exercises for Women with Irene Burg. 6:15 -7:15 p.m.
• Monday & Thursday: 12-1 p.m. Municipal Affairs at 2 Solomon St. (Moshe Shamir)
• Tuesday: Art with Gypsy Ron. 9:30-12 noon
• Tuesday : Meet the Lawyer. 9:30-11:30 a.m.
• Tuesday: Translations of documents and reports. 9:30-11:30 a.m.
• Wednesday: Netanya Philatelic Association 2-4 p.m.
• Wednesday: Diet, Healthy Eating & Living Group 9-10 a.m.
• Wednesday: Travel Day with Sharon Bergman 9 a.m. -12 noon • Thursday: Caregivers Support Group. 10-11 a.m.
• ESRA provides regular updates about its events, support groups, volunteering and activities. Let us keep you upto- date. E-mail Ingrid at [email protected] esra.org.il, with your name and e-mail address.
• ESRA’s professionally trained counselors offer confidential help with loss, transitions and life challenges. One-to-one/ telephone/group support. Counseling is free and is open to all. Contact Susan: Email [email protected] or 052-698- 9088; ESRA office (09) 748-2957.
• ESRA Netanya is looking for volunteers willing to help children with their spoken English commencing in the new school year in September. We are also looking for Israelis with very good English who would like to help elementary school pupils. Contact Ros (09) 834-0937.
• June 27: ESRA and the Ra’anana Moadon Hazahav invite all English speakers to a series of lectures in English – Nitsa Reich on “Tim Noble and Sue Webster – ‘junk’ as art?!” at 9 a.m.; and Erela Keinan on “Reconstructing History in the Broadway Musical” at 10:30. Yad Labanim, Ra’anana. To register: Tami (09) 761-0606.
• July 5: ESRA Ra’anana hosts a panel of representatives of some essential nonprofit organizations in Israel “Helping Hands.” Moderator, Lawrence Bertfield. Panel: Sharon Levin from Pa'amonim; Natalie Marx from Leket Israel (Table to Table); Dvora Baruch from Yad Sarah. At 10 a.m. in Beit Fisher, 5 Klausner Street, Ra’anana. NIS 35; ESRA members NIS 30. Please register in advance: ESRA office (09) 748- 2957.
• ESRAvision – The TV program for English speakers in Israel: This month’s magazine: Israel Short Stories; Training For Life – Budokan Israel Martial Arts and Fitness program Comedy for Koby; American Yard Sale; Speaking from the Heart, produced by “Television With a Different Mind-Set” under the guidance of Dr. Amir Har-Gil; Nahal Ayoun Cable TV (HOT) and Satellite TV (YES): Channel 98: Wednesday morning 8:30 & Thursday evening 20:30 p.m. Middle East TV www.metv.org HOT 163, YES 109: every other week on Thursdays at 3 p.m You can also see selected items on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ Esravision
• ESRA’s Adult ADD/ADHD support group can help inform, teach and coach adults with symptoms of the disorder. Contact us at: [email protected] l.com or go to https://sites.google.com/
• ESRA’s Secondhand English Bookshop in Ra’anana has 1000s of English books in every category & a huge selection of kids’ books from tots to teens (suitable for school libraries), all at give-away prices. Suitable for bookclubs to take on sale/return. Book tokens. Open every day incl Friday 9:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. 5 Rehov Klausner (corner Ahuza/Café Aroma), Ra’anana. Office (Sun-Thurs) (09) 748-0541.
• ESRA Befrienders provide a listening ear, help wherever possible with information and referral advice, and visit anyone who is housebound, elderly, or lonely in private homes, hospitals, sheltered homes and includes reading, conversing, taking for walks, shopping etc. We are currently looking for both men and women to befriend housebound and lonely people in the Sharon area. If you want to find out more, please contact Glenis 054-773 4392 or [email protected] gmail.com
• ESRA folk dancing and line dancing on Thursday mornings at Beit Fisher, 5 Rehov Klausner, Ra’anana. 10-11:30 a.m. Beginners and Intermediate with Roni. ESRAcards: NIS 30; others NIS 35. (09) 748-2957.
• ESRA Duplicate Bridge Club meets at 8 p.m. every Monday in Ra’anana at Beit Fisher, 5 Klausner St. Info: Michael Belkin, 052-240-1383. NIS 25 per session.
• Volunteers required in Ramat Hasharon – English for Schools, where English speakers chat to high-school pupils in preparation for their exams. Ingrid (09) 950-8371.
• Volunteers required in Herzliya – English for Schools. English speakers chat to highschool pupils in preparation for their exams. Marise (09) 957- 1170
• ESRA’s Community Cookbooks, Table Manna, Soups & Salads and Meatless Meals are on sale. NIS 50 plus postage. (09) 749-2957 or (09) 950-8371.
• An online Internet group is starting to bring non-Hebrew speakers together to help new olim adjust to life in Israel through networking, advice and having someone listen. It is also an effort to join all non-Hebrew speakers into one forum. People interested in really helping one another, e-mail [email protected]
• If you are Jewish and don’t have any problems proving you are Jewish but are having problems with the Interior Ministry not accepting official documents from your host country, contact us at [email protected]
• Jazz Appreciation Society. Informal social group meets in homes in Sharon area.... Talks, listening to music, some eating and drinking. Visits to jazz venues in and around Tel Aviv. Michael 0523-260-537
• The Conservative Movement will help establish a shul in Rishon West if at least a dozen people show interest in this project. Contact [email protected] gmail.com to learn more.
• Life’s Door – Tishkofet HaSharon, for people and family members living with illness (Beit Yad Sarah – Ra’anana). Mondays: Guided imagery 11 a.m.-12:15; Expressive Art 12:15-1:30. Wednesday: Gigong 1:15 -2:15 p.m. Advance registration required. Info: www.tishkofet.co.il or Sharon 054 665-6005.
• Life’s Door – Tishkofet HaSharon: Photography with Sarah Raanan (in English) – “Explore the beauty of life” in this 5-session workshop. Wednesday mornings from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Life’s Door – Tishkofet HaSharon: Volunteer training program (in English) on June 12 at 9:30 a.m. to noon. Venue in Ra’anana to be arranged. Sessions will be run by a staff of professionals. Life’s Door – Tishkofet (a non-profit organization) has changed the way thousands of people have experienced the journey of illness. Through our unique programs, patients, family members and professionals have learned the skills to see opportunities for growth and greater fulfillment in life. Advance registration required. Info: Anna Whitefield: 052 608-9601. www.tishkofet.co.il
• Bet Israel Masorti Congregation: 19 Yehuda Hanassi St. , Netanya: Religious Services Daily & Shabbat Shacharit 8 a.m. Friday evening Service begins 10 minutes after candle-lighting in Netanya (wintertime) and at 6 p.m. during summertime. Office: (09) 862-4345 Sun.-Thu. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Monday at Bet Israel, 19 Yehuda Hanassi, Netanya: Duplicate Bridge, 9:15 a.m. and on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. NIS 25 incl. refreshments. Info: Judy (052-833-0488).
• Sunday and Thursday at Bet Israel: Israeli Folk-dancing at 8 p.m., with Israel Amrani, in airconditioned hall. Incl. refreshments NIS 25. Tel: (09) 862- 4345.
• Wednesday: Bet Israel, 19 Yehuda Hanassi, Netanya: Women only Israeli folk dancing at 9 a.m., with Hagar Leventhal, in air-conditioned hall. Incl. refreshments NIS 25. (09) 862-4345.
• Sunday to Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon, Henry Koor Library General Judaica Collection. Also English Torah tapes, plus video and music tapes all available on loan. Public invited. New Synagogue, 7 MacDonald St., Netanya.
• Sunday 8 p.m., Thursday 7:30 p.m. Beit Israel. Israeli dancing, including refreshments. NIS 25. Sara (09) 862- 4345.
• Sun 9–11 a.m.; Mon 10 a.m.- 12 noon; Tues 2-4 p.m.; Wed 10 a.m.-12 noon; Thurs 10 a.m.-12 noon. English Speaking Municipal Volunteer Group at 4 Stampfer Street, 1st floor. Call first to check if there is a volunteer present.
• Monday She’arim Noon Concert. 11, Kikar Atzmaut Passage, next to Bank Hapoalim, first floor. NIS 25. Doors open 11 a.m. (884- 0534).
• Monday. New Synagogue 7:30 a.m. Parshat Hashavua in English given by Dr. Yaakov Ulando.
• Monday 7 p.m. Natan-ya Congregation Bible Class with Jordan Helfman. NIS.15. (077- 422-5272; 054-998-0032) • Monday 9:15 a.m. & Thursday, 9:30 a.m. Hadassah Hadar & Beit Israel. Duplicate Bridge at Beit Israel. NIS 25. Refreshments (Judy, 052-833-0488).
• Monday & Wednesday. 10 a.m. Laniado Ten Pin Bowling at the New Netanya Industrial Estate. Details Edith, (09) 861-6187.
• Tuesday. New Synagogue. Weekly study with Rabbi Katz. Details Felix (09) 862-2765.
• Wednesday 9 a.m. Bet Israel Women Only Israeli Folk-dancing with Hagar Leventhal in airconditioned Hall, incl. refreshments. NIS 25. 862-4345 Self-Help
• Alcoholics Anonymous English meeting in Ra’anana. Info: For Johnny 054-931-8427
• Alanon/Naranon meetings for relatives and friends of alcholics and substance abusers. In Ra’anana Tuesday evenings at 7:30. Info: (052) 614-9035 or (09) 746-2008.
• Alanon/Naranon meetings for relatives and friends of alcoholics and substance abusers. In Netanya Thursday evening at 7:30 p.m. Info: (052) 479- 8285 or (09) 832-1574.
• Ra’anana: Overeaters Anonymous meetings in English. Monday mornings, 10:30-11:30, Rehov Har Sinai. For specific address details: Allyson (052) 655-9076.
• Alzheimer’s English speakers support group meets every month. Info: Paula 077-324-0639.
• Services at Kehilat Yonaton, a Reform synagogue in Hod Hasharon. Designed for children ages 3-10 and their families with Shabbat songs, Torah story and prayers, followed by a kiddush. Last Friday of each month 6 p.m. 1, Rehov Aliyat Hanoar, campus of Mosenson High School, Hod Hasharon. Details: 052-446- 2112 or (09) 746-3447.
• American C&W Line Dancing – Step-In Line™. Absolute Beginners 8-8:30 p.m. Learn basic steps and very easy dances. Continuing with Beginners & Advanced, learning new dances 8:30-9:30 p.m. (approx). Everyone dancing old favorites 9:30-10 p.m. NIS 30, payable on entrance. Kfar Vitkin, 10 mins. north of Netanya. Info: [email protected] biz , 052-545-7713
• The “Hebrew Order of David International” is recruiting Jewish gentlemen. We have Lodges in Ra’anana, Netanya and Jerusalem. If you like friendship, fellowship, social activities, formal meetings and charitable work, we want you! Michael: (09) 749-3293 or 050-594-6121 (not Shabbat).
• Kehilat Torat Hayim: The Masorti (Conservative) Congregation of Herzliya. www.torat-hayyim.org.il. Spiritual leader: Rav Ary Glikin. Merkaz Yom la-Kashish, Shammai 8, Herzliya. Friday evening service 6:30 p.m. in summer. Shabbat and holiday services 8:45 a.m. Shabbat morning, after the service, members invite the congregation to kiddush. Weekly newsletter (in English and Hebrew): Hamevasser: www.torathayyim. org.il:80/docs/mevasser.htm. Activities: Preparation for bar and bat mitzva celebrations. Info: Rav Glikin 052-736-6386; special monthly youth Shabbatot; activities for children and youth; special holiday events; active participation on kehila committees; study groups: Mishna: Mondays at 7 p.m. in Bet Yom LeKashish. Alternate Sunday evenings, 8:30 p.m., Pirkei Avot group at the Nof Yam Matnas
• Every Wednesday from 6-8 p.m. – certified instructor Jessica Cohen teaches horses and ponies and their riders show jumping. Shaded picnic tables for visitors, free. 5 Pardes Meshutaf St., Ra’anana. Phone 052-598-7789 www.farm4fun.com
• Mountainbiking Group – Cyclenix – A social biking group that rides every Saturday. Also weekly midweek night rides. All levels of riders welcome. Free. 050-942- 2788 or www.cyclenix.com
• Weight Watchers group for English speakers, Wednesday mornings at 9 at the Mishkan, 2 Hapalmah Street, Ra’anana. All discussions and materials in English. Info: Yehudit Levine, 050-647-7395 (after 7 p.m.)
• Anglo business networking group provides a forum for English-speaking businessmen in Israel to discuss and share their problems and air their new ideas. Meets once a month alternately in Tel Aviv and Ra’anana. Info: [email protected] gmail.com
• www.oddjobs.co.il provides free job postings in English for those seeking odd jobs, and temporary, seasonal, work at home, overseas, and foreignlanguage positions. Submit your postings or answer job leads free of charge.
• The Yad Yaakov center for Jewish education is hosting a lecture series in English: Mondays at 9:30 a.m. – “Shivat Zion in the Eyes of Ezra and Nehemiah” with Rabbi Don Peterman; Wednesdays at 9:15 a.m. – Jeremiah and the Destruction of the Temple, both at 4 Kahan St., Kfar Saba. Fridays at 10 a.m. – “Footsteps through the Bible, discovering the Unfolding Redemptive History of Israel” with Rabbi Leibowitz at Ohel Moshe Synagogue, Herzliya Pituah. Info (09) 745-4126.
• Koleynu Choir meets Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. at Beit Issie Shapiro, Issie Shapiro St. in Ra’anana. Men and women of all ages are welcome to join this mixed voice choir. Repertoire includes popular and traditional Western and Israeli music, vocal jazz, Broadway show tunes, gospel, light classics and more. Reading music is not required, just the ability to sing in tune and match pitches – and a commitment to learning your songs. Info: Sharon 050-314- 5255 or Patrick 054-660-7464.
• Klabberjas – Kfar Saba – weekly card game. Michael (09) 749-3293/(050) 594-6121.
• Play in our Texas hold-em poker tournaments. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday at 8 p.m. Info: 054-482-1706
• Coffee and Torah: The study of Tanach and lively discussion on its contemporary relevance, with Rabbi Stewart Weiss, Wednesdays, 8:15-9:45 a.m. at Bread and Breakfast Cafe, Giron Center, Jabotinsky and Ahuza streets, Ra’anana. In English, no prior knowledge necessary. Info: 052-242-8508.
• Ra’anana Masorti (Conservative) Congregation. A friendly synagogue with services Thur at 7 a.m., Fri at 6 p.m., Sat. at 8:30 a.m. bar/bat mitzva, community services and special occasions. 8 Borochov Street, Ra’anana. Info: Colin Marks 054-720-1911.
• YINN Table Tennis Chug. Play on Sun., Wed. afternoons, 2:30-4:30. All welcome • Netanya Congregation Bible Class with Jordan Helfman. Mondays, 7 p.m. NIS 15. (077) 422-5272; 054-998- 0032.
• Yad Yaakov center for Jewish studies, weekly Tanach classes: Mon 9:30-11 a.m. “Kings & Prophets” with Rabbi Peterman; Wed 9:15-10:15 a.m. “The Classical Prophets” with Rabbi Leibowitz; Wed 10:30-11:30 a.m. “Kohelet- Wisdom Literature” with Rabbi Leibowitz Ohel Moshe Synagogue, 33 Aryeh Ben- Eliezer St., Herzliya Pituah: (09) 745-4126. Gadi Hamburger gives a weekly shiur in English on interesting points in the weekly sedra. Wednesdays, 8 p.m. Men and women welcome – no fee. Becker Family, Rehov Ahad Ha’am 21/5, Ra’anana. Info: Willie (09) 741- 4632 or 052-852-2029.
• Classes and study groups: Hebrew Reading Class, Sundays 11 a.m. at Beit Israel Masorti Congregation, with Rita Green and Miki Schwartz. Info: (09) 862-4345.
• “Prayer and Song” class on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. at Beit Israel Masorti Congregation, with Rabbi Yisraeli. Learn how to lead and participate in prayer services, including the traditional melodies. We are egalitarian, this is for everybody. (09) 862-4345. Torah Study and Discussion Group (English) on Wednesdays at 9 a.m., with Lenore Levin, at Beit Israel. (09) 862-4345. “Philosophical Issues in the Weekly Parsha” on Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m. With Rabbi Yisraeli (of Congregation Beit Israel, Masorti, Netanya) at his home, 7/2 Ichilov St. ˆnfo: (09) 862-4345.
• Weekly cultural activities: Duplicate Bridge at Beit Israel, Monday and Thursday mornings at 9:30 a.m. NIS 25, incl. refreshments. (09) 862-4345.
• Free English Lending Library on Wednesdays 3-5 p.m. at Beit Israel. Librarian; Shiphra Davis. Info: (09) 862-4345.
• The Henry Koor Judaica Library houses 8,000 books of 800 CDs and cassette tapes of Jewish and general interest in English, and is open 9:30 a.m. – 12 noon, Sundays – Thursdays. 7 Rehov Macdonald, Netanya. Contact: (09) 884-0458. There is also a program of monthly lectures.
TEL AVIV/CENTRAL AACI
Tel Aviv Events held at AACI offices unless otherwise specified: 94 Rehov Allenby, entrance “aleph,“ mezzanine floor, Tel Aviv. (03) 696-0389 for information and registration. Join AACI Central e-mail program & information update list: e-mail: [email protected] with “e-mail list” in the subject heading.
• July 5: Men and women are invited to join the AACI Tel Aviv Book Club. At this meeting at 11 a.m. in Ramat Aviv, we will discuss Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. RSVP (03) 696- 0389 or [email protected]
• July 7: AACI presents Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man, a fantastic family entertainment with a message. Ra’anana - Eshkol Payis, 5 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. Seniors NIS 89; others NIS 95; children 12 and under NIS 70. To reserve: (03) 696-0389 or e-mail [email protected]
• July 13: AACI presents Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man, a fantastic family entertainment with a message. Ramat Aviv - Rozin Auditorium, 7 p.m. Seniors NIS 89; others NIS 95; children 12 and under NIS 70. To reserve: (03) 696- 0389 or e-mail [email protected]
• July 14: AACI presents Meredith Willson’s musical The Music Man, a fantastic family entertainment with a message. Ra’anana - Eshkol Payis, 7 p.m. Seniors NIS 89; others NIS 95; children 12 and under NIS 70. To reserve: (03) 696-0389 or email [email protected]
• July 5 (and 12, 19, 26): AACI presents Yona’s Yoga Classes – Hatha Yoga and relaxation classes from 6-7 p.m. at Banana Beach, Tel Aviv. Appropriate for all ages. Members: NIS 250 Non-members: NIS 300 for the 4-week course. Registration essential: AACI (03) 696-0389. More details: Yona (03) 516-3387 / 050 326-7277 AACI Seniors
• June 29: Final meeting till September. Fun group activity and volunteer recognition. Also Torah commentary and exercise. 10 a.m. at Beit Tami, Shenkin St. in Shenkin Park (2nd block from Allenby). NIS 15. Info: (03) 696-0389.
• June 26: The Israel Genealogical Society – “How to Integrate your Documents and Records – Focusing on Lithuania, Holocaust and General Family Research” by Dr. Rose Lerer. 8 p.m., Beit Shalom, 2 Shir St, Tel Aviv. IGS members: no charge; others: NIS 20. Website: http://www.isragen.org.il/ http://twitter.com/isragen Map: http://www.genealogy.org.il/tel aviv.htm E-mail: [email protected]
• July 6: TACT Tap Dancing Workshop led by Oran Aviv begins July 6 . Beit Yad Lebanim, Pinkas 63, Tel Aviv. NIS 140 for 4 sessions. Payment in advance at first session. For further information and registration, call Glenda 052-525-8812.
• Free Torah study group with Rabbi Aharon Levin for men and women. Subject: Jewish philosophy and law. Refreshments. Sponsored by Ahvah, Aish Hatorah. Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. Devorah Hotel, 2nd floor, 87 Ben-Yehuda corner Gordon St., Tel Aviv. Info: Esther Rubinstein, 052-738- 9447 or Betty (03) 523-1831.
• The Los Amigos choir of Latin American music is recruiting new members (bass and tenor voices). On Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in Ness Ziona. Call Leah: 054-465-6182
• Lod Community Foundation is looking for volunteer teachers for its English teaching project, “Yes We Can!” to teach both children and adults. If you can help, or know anyone who may be interested, contact: Ofra Savaldi (08) 927-0723 or 054-793-2518 [email protected] www.lodfoundation. org
• Public speaking and storytelling for everyone at the Oppenheimer English Storytelling Center in Tel Aviv on the first Friday morning of every month. Contact Dvora Shurman at 054-766-5019 or email [email protected]
• Voices Israel Group of Poets in English meets once a month. Bring your own poems for discussion. See monthly newsletter for details of workshops, submissions to annual anthology and Reuben Rose International Competition. Contact: Mark Levinson (09) 955-5720
• The Educational Center for Games in Israel. Heritage Centre of Play. 32 Hatavor St. Tel Aviv. (near Nachlat Binyamin Mall). Play is not only for children. Lost Property: Mostly jackets. Please claim them. Visits to the center are by prior request. We continue with archiving our collections. If you would like to join in, give us a call, also to discuss which of our seminars and workshops are best for you. Contact [email protected] or 054-471-7314
• Ichud Olam Minyan invites you to a new lecture series every Wednesday evening at 8 p.m. Rabbi Nachman's Stories as an introduction to Hassidut, in English; 9 p.m.: Rambam’s Rationalist Thinking, in Hebrew, by Rabbi Dr. Raphael Shuchat of Bar-Ilan University. Pizza served. Ichud Shivat Zion Synagogue, 86 Rehov Ben- Yehuda, Tel Aviv.
• Calling women of all ages, with or without experience: An American flag football team for women is being organized to play in the Sportech every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Free of charge. Call Esti at (054) 737-4841 or email: [email protected] gmail.com
• Home singing circle in central Tel Aviv, to meet once weekly. Male and female singers welcomed. Repertoire: classical – including Israeli. Please state note-reading ability and preferred weekday evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Email: [email protected]
• TACT (Tel Aviv Community Theatre) – Want to act in English? Help backstage? Smell the greasepaint? Hear the applause? TACT is the group for you. Oldest established English-speaking community theater in Tel Aviv welcomes new members. www.tact-theatre. com or call Glenda, 052- 525-8812 or Linda, 052-230- 8833.
• ESRA Books ’n’ Chat, first Sunday of the month. Information: Gill, 602-1008.
• ESRA South African-style book club in Tel Aviv, first Monday of month. Info: Gill (03) 732- 0194.
• ESRA Short Story Discussion Group, Mondays. NIS 25; ESRAcards NIS 20. Info: Noah (03) 648-5575.
• Tanach (Bible) Study Group, Wednesdays 9:45 a.m. An in-depth study of the Tanach with Rabbi Avraham Fischer of Yad Yaakov. NIS 50; ESRAcards NIS 45. Pre-registration necessary. Noah (03) 648-5575.
• Support group being formed for seniors with/without family in Israel, to discuss and plan for the future. Please contact Valerie at (03) 602-0665 Self-Help
• Alcoholics Anonymous English meetings held daily in Tel Aviv. Details: 054-492-9242 or email [email protected]
• Tuesdays 8:30-9:30 a.m. Overeaters Anonymous – weekly English meeting in Tel Aviv. For venue and more information, call Ophelia, 052-427- 9502.
• Narcotics Anonymous, English meetings in Tel Aviv & Jerusalem. Hotline: 054- 211- 7452.
• Rediscovering Hunger: Conquering your Negative Body Image and Overcoming Emotional Eating. Offered in Tel Aviv. Info: Nomi 052-858- 1028.
• AACI Translation Service: An excellent translation service is available to all AACI members. We offer help with translating bills, driving licenses, telephone applications, Kupat Holim literature, bank communications and many other items. Service not available for medical reports and legal contracts. Mondays: 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Call AACI for an appointment: (03) 696-0389.
• Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Israel) Herzl 159, Tel Aviv-Jaffa. (03) 513- 6500. Healthy cats and dogs available for adoption, daily veterinary service, low-cost spaying. Strays and abandoned animals accepted at no charge. Open daily till 8 p.m., Fridays until 2 p.m., Saturdays 11 a.m.-2 p.m. www.spca.co.il
• English mother and baby group. Weekly meetings in Petah Tikva. Contact Tammy: 054-303-2063 / e-mail: [email protected] k
• TACT play-reading: every Monday at 7:30 p.m. in Beit Ariella. We prepare, read and discuss Shakespeare plays. On alternate Mondays we read other plays. Please call Mike: (03) 641-5878 or Ida: (09) 955-0089
• Ramle Tissan Airmodel Club: English-speaking airmodeler looks for control-line airmodel enthusiasts to help found a club. Teaching kids and teens how to build and fly C/L, sailplanes, rubber-powered planes is also among greatest goals. Already has support from Ramle City Hall. Please call Eron Silva at (08) 930-1161, ext. 113, or (08) 920-6408 (home), or write [email protected] (preferable)
• Israemploy is a non-profit organization that helps new and veteran immigrants find work in Israel. Almost 2,000 new job postings each month, many of them with a requirement for English at a high level. For more information, please visit us at www.israemploy.net. Nominal fees required of users.
• Anglo business networking group provides a forum for English-speaking businessmen in Israel, both established and new, to discuss and share their problems and air their new business ideas. Meets about once a month alternatively in Tel Aviv and Ra’anana. Details of next meeting: [email protected]
• The Institute for the Advancement of Education in Jaffa seeks volunteers to help Jaffa schoolchildren with English. Volunteers work with groups of 2-3 children aged 10-12 once a week, for an hour and a half in the mid-afternoon. Materials and on-hand guidance provided, no experience necessary. Marc Schoen, 054-755-2014, 077-330-6788 (evenings)
• Free Torah lessons in English. Sundays, 8:30 p.m. Hotel Devorah, Ben-Yehuda 87, Tel Aviv. Margalit: (03) 551-6652.
• Play4Elderly meetings at The Educational Center for Games, 32 Hatavor Street, Tel Aviv. (Near Nahlat Binyamin Mall) are part of our Grandparenting Institute. Info: 054-471-7314. (03) 629-4151. [email protected] CENTRAL
• Rishon Lezion English Speakers’ Group will be holding their annual BBQ by thesea in July. Please contact Myra at (03) 969-5693.
• Rishon Lezion forming a support group for families of Alzheimer sufferers. Contact Leah at (03) 9562231.
• The Rishon Lezion English Speakers Assocation (RESA) holds monthly social meetings; coffee mornings in a coffee shop and excursions to places of interest. Details: (03) 969- 5693.
• English and Spanish conversational classes at Ohel Avraham and Sarah JCC in Rishon Lezion on Mohliver 16 Street. To register call (03) 950-7414 or write to the Sisterhood at [email protected] .com NIS 20 per person, per class.
• Yes, there is a Masorti /Conservative shul and community in Rishon Lezion! Everyone interested in being part of a truly egalitarian community with observance of Jewish traditions invited. Please send us your e-mail address for our mailing list. Kabbalat Shabbat services at 6:30 p.m. (summer hours); Shabbat morning service at 9 a.m. Come and visit or call (03) 950-7414.
AACI Southern Branch
• Sundays – “Your Baby Needs Music” – AACI Music Class for babies and children up to age 5. 4-4:45 p.m. “Music Together,” a parent-child class in English for infants, toddlers and preschoolers up to age 5 on Sundays, at 5-5:45 p.m. With Sharon Meisels. All classes will take place at location TBA. Cost per child, full course: NIS 400 members; NIS 450 nonmembers Cost per 2nd child, full course: NIS 375 members; NIS 425 non-members. Accompanying book and CD: NIS 170, cash only. Register at (02) 993-8147 or 054-531- 5990. Send an e-mail to this address: [email protected] To receive more information, e-mail www.musicwithsharon.com
• Technical Writing Course in Beersheba. If you write well in English, are computer literate and enjoy learning and training others, this course is for you. Dates and times to be announced. Cost: NIS 9,000 or NIS 8,000 for AACI members, including those who join upon registration.For more information contact Our Best Words at (02) 656-3369 or (050) 529-0775 (evenings) or [email protected] Or go to www.technicalwriting. co.il/training/tech-writingcourse/
• Religious singles 60+ Group forming for social and cultural activities. More info (02) 560- 9110 Ongoing Events • Shabbat services (Fri. 5:30 p.m. winter, 7 p.m. summer, Sat. 9 a.m.) at Adat Shalom Emanuel, 6 Miller Street, Rehovot. We are a Masorti (Egalitarian) congregation with a vibrant bar/bat mitzva program, youth activities program (Noam), a choir, as well as a lecture and discussion series under the direction of our Rabbi Rubin. E-mail: [email protected] barak.net.il, tel/fax (08) 946-9180 • Emotions Anonymous Ashkelon. Osnat (08) 673- 1258; Moshe (08) 673-4086.
• The English Speakers’ Club of Ashdod (ESCA) gets together on Fridays at the Zohara Restaurant in the Ashdod Bus Station from noon to 2 p.m. Info: Anita, 054-465-1327 or Chana (08) 855-7116.
• The Conservative Synagogue Etz Haim in Ashdod assembles on Fridays for Erev Shabbat services (20 minutes before sundown) and on Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. Public Shelter No. 25 on Rehov Yitzhak Hanassi in Ashdod. Info: Refael (08) 864- 2482 or Anita 054-465-1327
• Tai chi chuan and chi kung in the Ashdod area. Exercise for fun, balance, strength, energy. Wednesdays 9 a.m., 7 p.m. Classes in the park in good weather, sheltered area in rainy weather. Susan www.taichisusan. com; 054-237-5512
• Parkinsons Support Group Ashdod (and surrounding areas) meets Wednesdays 4:30- 7 at the Bet Avot Ashdod, entrance Harav Nissim 17, next to Ashdod police station. Info: (08) 855-1051. Amutat Parkinson 077-418-1900; English (08) 858-1151.
• English Speakers of Ashkelon monthly craft chug, book club, movie night, play reading group, coffee, cake and conversation meetings and special events. Info: June (08) 673- 2161 or Vicky (08) 673-3742.
• Kehillat Netzach Israel (Masorti/Conservative Congregation) - Services: Fridays at 6:45pm and Saturdays at 9am - Bar/Bat Mitzva courses, Talmud/Torah classes, adult education lectures, NOAM youth group, preschool daycare center and ongoing cultural activities. Rabbi Michael Even David. Info: (08) 671-1370/1 or e-mail [email protected] www.netzach- israel.org.il
• Weekly Tanach Study Group led by Rabbi Moshe Benisti on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Info: 077- 424-6459.
• Emotions Anonymous Ashkelon. Osnat (08) 673-1258 or Moshe (08) 673-4086 BEERSHEBA
• Negev, Eilat, South e-mail list advice, events, what’s on, Eilat, Beersheba, Mitzpe, Arad and Ein Gedi. Festivals, theaters, concerts, find car rides, jobs available, jobs wanted, flathunting, business promos. www.groups.yahoo. com/group/NegevEilat.
• Omer, Magen Avraham (Conservative) Congregation: Friday 6:30 p.m.; Saturday 8:30 a.m. Bar/Bat Mitzva courses, adult study, after-school program. Rabbi Gil Nativ (08) 646-0424; email [email protected]
• The Flying Camels Ultimate Frisbee team invites you to join them on Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. at the sports field next to Shomron St. in the Neot Lon neighborhood of Beersheba. Info: Noam 054-773-9954 [email protected]
• Beersheba, Eshel Avraham (Masorti/Conservative) Congregation – Fri. 5:30 p.m., Sat 9 a.m. Torah classes (Hebrew, English, Russian and Spanish). Talmud classes, activities, bar/bat mitzva, Noam youth, kindergarten ages 1-6. Israeli folkdance. (08) 642-1424; (08) 642-0989.
• Beersheba English-speaking Seniors Social Club – Thursday 4-6 p.m. (08) 642-2915; 627-2593.
• Beersheba Hadassah meets the fourth Monday morning of every month, 9:30 a.m.- noon. Ganei Ye’elim, Shchuna Heh. Coffee, social, and always an interesting program/speaker. NIS 10. Info: Shirley, (08) 658- 8262.
• The AACI Southern Region Library at Matnas Yud-Alef in Beersheba has more than 6,000 volumes of fiction and non-fiction. Hours: Sun. through Wed. from 10 a.m. to 12 noon; Sun. Mon. and Wed. from 4 to 6 p.m.; and every 2nd and 4th Thursday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. 11 Mordechai Namir St. Info: (08) 643-3953.
• Beersheba Singles Club (25- 45), beersheva–singles @hotmail. com EILAT
• Tagel Arava Masorti Community Eilat. Shabbat Services: Fridays at 6 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. At former Allon School (in the caravans to rear of school). Info: 050-579-3225 or (08) 633-4368.
• Eilat English Speakers WIZO group meet at WIZO House, Jerusalem St. 10-12 a.m. Tuesdays. Winter program incl.speakers (all welcome to submit request to speak on career, hobby etc.) Refreshments. NIS 10. Anne (08) 633-0323; Fay (08) 637-2344.
• ESRA’s unique Ethiopian embroidery products are on sale in Eilat. Kippot, mezuzot, hamsot, embroidery on towels; coasters, placemats; greeting and gift cards, all at reasonable prices. Proceeds go to the Ethiopian embroiderers. To view and purchase, call Fonda: (08) 633-2205.
• Pregnancy support in Eilat – Birth preparation, active birth, yoga and relaxation. Support after birth: mother and baby, help with breastfeeding, baby massage, yoga and relaxation. Small groups. Tues. mornings. Alison (08) 633-5024; 052-835-1182.
• Shirat Hayam Masorti/ Conservative Synagogue – Beit Wizo, Jerusalem St., Eilat. Fri at 6 p.m. Michelle, 050-421-1591.
• Eilat – Kalooki players South African rules. Kaleen (08) 753-30705 or 050-529-1925 • Shira Hadasha (Masorati/ Conservative) in Arad – Friday (according to candle lighting time), most of the winter 4:30 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m. Lior, 052- 545-3436. “What’s Up?” – An educational mobile observatory sets up our telescope every night on or near the promenade, showing passers-by the planets and the moon with detailed explanations and handout sheets. Info 052-535-2933; 054-481-9973.
• Arts & crafts market – Locally made leather goods, jewelry, ceramics, paintings, etc. Fridays 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Park Hayovel, near Imax. Artists and street performers welcome to join (upon committee approval). Billie, 054- 584-1282; [email protected]
• Le Leche League Israel – Support for breastfeeding mothers. Monthly meetings throughout the country. 1-599-525-821
• Scopus: The Center for Matchmaking in the Jewish World for singles age 20-45, across the observance spectrum. (02) 532-8435; [email protected]; Web site: www.scopus.org HAIFA & NORTH Events
• June 25: The Haifa English Theatre presents the British comedy The Irregular Verb To Love, written by Hugh and Margaret Williams, directed by Ruth Willner. At 9 p.m. at the Beit Hagefen Auditorium, 33 Hatzionut, Haifa. Tickets are available at the door. Info: Bertha at 052-365-6161.www.he- theatre.org [email protected]
• June 25: The Haifa English Theatre presents the 1960s British comedy The Irregular Verb To Love. At 9 p.m. at the Beit Hagefen Auditorium, 33 Hatzionut, Haifa. Tickets are available at the door. Info: Bertha at 052-365-6161.
• The Karmiel English Speakers’ Club is open every Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Library, tea and coffee, board games, or just chat. For confirmation of ocasional Saturday evening opening, 7 pm. till throwout time, phone Gwenn at (04) 998-1925. Location: below the hotel, opposite the main post office.
• Two new ESRA branches in the North, for English-speaking activities, lectures and volunteering. For the Karmiel/Misgav area, contact Frankie (04) 998-2871 or e-mail [email protected] For the Nahariya/Northern Coast areas, contact Tonielle 054-787-1452 or e-mail [email protected]
• Kehillat Emet VeShalom Nahariya (Reform/Progressive Synagogue) – Kabbalat Shabbat Services on Fridays at 5:30 p.m. (winter time) (6 p.m. summer time) with Rabbi Israel Horowitz in Matnas Mifal Hapayis, Rehov Keren Hayesod, Nahariya. Bar/bat mitzva preparation, weddings, conversion, holiday and communal activities; study groups and courses. Information, call office at 108 Rehov Weizman, Nahariya Tel/Fax: (04) 992-9723; or email: [email protected] com; website: http://evsnewsletter.googlepage s.com/home
• HaMinyan HaMishpachti, Kfar Vradim. (Egalitarian, Masorti /Conservative Congregation) Kabbalat Shabbat Services 6:15 p.m.; Shabbat Morning Services 9 a.m. at Eshkol Haganim “Gefen,” Kfar Vradim. Bar/Bat Mitzva preparation, HALOM after-school program for gan hova and elementary-school children; NEW Youth Group for teenagers, ongoing Adult Educational Programs. Contacts: Rabbi Zvi Berger, 052-475-3870; Galit Haim, 052-688-1083; Ofer David 052-379-3448.
• AACI Library – English Language, 55 Shimshon St, corner Moriah St. Mon., Wed. 9 a.m.-12 a.m.; Tues. 3-5 p.m. Rayla, 837-4744.
• AACI is starting an Englishspeaking mothers and babies/toddlers group in Haifa. Casual chat, a place where your baby/toddler can play with others. Contact Rebecca, 052- 749-0227, or e-mail: [email protected]
• An English-speaking singleparents group in Haifa. A social get-together sharing ups and downs of life in Israel. Interested? Contact: [email protected]
• Gitit Choir, the veteran Haifabased a capella mixed choir, is looking for new singers. Rudimentary music reading helpful, Rehearsals: Tuesdays 7–10:30 p.m. at the Reali Elementary School in Ahuza. Call Yarden, 054-794-3333.
• Carmel Choir (founded by Rhoda Keyson) a warm and friendly group, olim and vatikim, for amateurs and accomplished singers. Rehearsals Wednesdays 7:30-9:30 p.m. at The Dunie Weizman Conservatory of Music. For information call Annette (04) 825-1984 or Eve (04) 834-5572, e-mail [email protected]
• Hadera: Learn quilt making, for English speakers. Call Darlene at 050-724-9770.
• The Safed English Library – a one-of-a-kind lending library serving readers throughout Israel. Includes best-sellers, classics, health, magazines, nature, travel, Judaism, audio-books, DVDs and more. Extensive children’s library. We welcome good condition and unique books. Open Sundays (9-11:30 a.m.), Mondays (7-9 p.m.), Tuesdays (2-4:30 p.m.), Fridays (9-11 a.m.). (04) 692-1592. E-mail: [email protected]
• Valleys – Amakim notice board. Join the e-mail network for residents of Jezreel Valley, Beit She’an Valley, Jordan Valley, Nazareth, Migdal Ha’emek, Afula, Beit She’an, kibbutzim, Kinneret region. You may post Events, Offers, Advice, Personals, Services, Buy, Swap, Sell, etc. Send subscription request to [email protected] along with your name and email address.
• Kehillat Moriah Synagogue Masorti / Conservative. 7 Horev Street, Ahuza, Haifa. Kabbalat Shabbat Egalitarian Services: winter 5 p.m. / summer 6 p.m. Light music until 15 minutes before Shabbat. Shabbat morning egalitarian services 9 a.m. Bar/Bat Mitzva preparation; Noam Masorti Youth Group; ongoing adult educational programs. Contacts: Rabbi Dubi Hayun, 050-438-9802. www.moriahaifa.022.co.il. Office: (04) 825-1495, Orit. Office hours: Sun.-Thurs.8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wed. 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Voices Israel Group of Poets in English meets 3rd or 4th Tuesday of the month. Bring two of your own poems for discussion. See monthly newsletter posted at the website www.freewebs.com/voicesisrael for details of meetings, workshops and poetry submissions to annual anthology and Reuben Rose International Competition. Contact: Susan Rosenberg (04) 838-1218, for Haifa, and the Northern group. For an Upper Galil group, contact: Tommy Berman (04) 690-9476.
• Haifa Chamber Choir – Tues. at 8 p.m. Cati (04) 633-1876 • Quilt Exhibit – Illusions. O’Sheehan Gallery, the only gallery in Israel dedicated solely to the art of quilting. Moshav Bustan Hagalil, near Acre. Every Saturday 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Call ahead to schedule a weekday visit. No charge. Maureen Nachmani – 054-472-3176.
• Do you enjoy performing? The Haifa English Theater is looking for new talent – both onstage and backstage. Call Bertha at 052-365-6161 for more information.
• Haifa AA Group meets every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Call Jon at 052-379-0741 for more details.
• The Western Galilee Serenity AA Group meets at Kehillat Emet VeShalom, 108 Weizmann Street, Nahariya, every Tuesday, 7 p.m., in the back room of the synagogue. Info: 052-306-7082.
• Codependents Anonymous English meeting, every Wed evening at 6:10 p.m. at the Karmiel English Speakers’ Club. Info: (04) 980-0329. No charge. The only requirement for membership is a desire for healthy and loving relationships.
• Karmiel: English meeting of Overeaters Anonymous, every Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Karmiel English Speakers Club. Info: (04) 980-0329.
• Emotions Anonymous – Safed chapter. Dan (04) 692-1092; 050-553-2890.
• Emotions Anonymous in Pardess Hanna, evenings. Tina: (052) 640-2010