Iran on Sunday warned the United States against crossing the “redline” on Syria,
saying it would have “severe consequences.”
“America knows the limitation
of the redline of the Syrian front, and any crossing of Syria’s redline will
have severe consequences for the White House,” said Massoud Jazayeri, deputy
chief of staff of Iran’s armed forces, reacting to statements by Western
officials regarding the possibility of military intervention in Syria, the Fars
news agency reported.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards commander warned
enemies on Sunday against any threatening moves.
“The IRGC... will
definitely pursue and monitor threatening moves with sharp eyes,” said Maj.-
Gen. Muhammad Ali Jafari, Iran’s Tasnim News Agency reported.
intervention would plunge it “deeper into a quagmire of troubles in the Middle
East,” said Hadi Shoushtari, a member of parliament’s national security and
foreign policy commission.
This followed a statement on Saturday by
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Araqchi that military intervention is
not permitted in Syria.
“The problem in Syria can only be resolved
through dialogue and finding a peaceful solution. And there is currently no
international permission on initiating a military offensive against Syria,” he
said, the Iranian Mehr News Agency reported.
Seeming to imply that US
intervention could embroil it in another long and bloody war in the Islamic
world, Araqchi added, “We hope there would be enough wisdom in the White House
to not engage in such a risky battlefield.”
Meanwhile, Syrian authorities
warned the United States against any military action over a suspected chemical
weapons attack in Syria’s civil war, saying this would “inflame the Middle
Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government has accused the
insurgents of firing the chemical weapons “as a last resort” to try to provoke
foreign intervention on their side.
Syrian Information Minister Omran
Zoabi said that any US-led military action would be “no picnic.”
military intervention will create a very serious fallout and a ball of fire that
will inflame the Middle East,” Zoabi told the Syrian state news agency
Syria has agreed to allow UN inspectors access to sites in suburbs
of Damascus where alleged chemical attacks occurred last week, the Syria Foreign
Ministry said in a statement broadcast on state television.
government and the United Nations agreed on a common understanding... to allow
the United Nations to investigate allegations of chemical weapons use in the
Damascus suburbs on August 22, 2013,” the statement said, giving the wrong date
for the mass poisoning, which took place on August 21.
Many hundreds of
people were poisoned to death on Wednesday before dawn in what appears to have
been the world’s worst chemical weapons attack since Saddam Hussein’s forces
gassed thousands of Iraqi Kurdish villagers in 1988.
Minister Walid al- Moualem met UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs
Angela Kane – who was in Damascus to negotiate access – on Sunday morning, it
Moualem “stressed Syria’s readiness to cooperate with a team of
investigators to uncover false allegations by terrorist groups that Syrian
troops used chemical weapons in [Damascus].”
Think others should know about this? Please share