MOSCOW - Russia's federal Anti-Terrorist Committee said on Friday it had detained six men suspected in a bombing in the southern city of Pyatigorsk last month that killed three people and added to security fears in the run-up to the Winter Olympics.
Russia is on security alert only weeks before it opens the 2014 Winter Games on February 7 in the southern Black Sea resort of Sochi, some 270 km (170 miles) west of Pyatigorsk where the car bomb went off.
The blast on December 27 blew out the windows of buildings in an industrial neighborhood of the spa resort town and badly damaged a traffic police building.
The committee said the six men, who include one Azerbaijani citizen, have admitted to carrying out the bombing and that they were planning another attack on a larger scale.
It also said it opened criminal cases against the suspects for murder and terrorism, among others.
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin
Think others should know about this? Please share