Israel’s envoy to Buenos Aires has asked the Argentinean authorities for a
response to a report that appeared in the press there Saturday, alleging that
Iran suggested that Argentina “forget” about the two bombings there in the early
1990s in return for improved financial relations, Israeli diplomatic officials
According to the Argentinean tabloid Perfil, the Islamic
Republic asked the South American country to drop the ongoing investigation into
the bombings, which are believed to have been carried out by Hezbollah and Iran.
The 1992 and 1994 bombings of the Israeli Embassy and Jewish center in Buenos
Aires killed 114 people and wounded hundreds.
'Argentina offers to forget Iran attacks on Jewish targets'
'Iran was involved in Argentina attacks'
“Argentina is no longer
interested in solving these two attacks, but would rather improve its economic
relations with Iran,” the newspaper quoted an Iranian document it said it had
Foreign Minister spokesman Yigal Palmor said that so far Israel
had no confirmation of the report, “and we are still waiting for an official
comment from the Argentinean Foreign Ministry.”
Should the report prove
to be true, Palmor said, “It would be a manifestation of cynicism and insult to
the memory of the victims. But, as I have said, we are still waiting for
the Argentine Foreign Ministry to issue an official reaction.”
which is a vocal critic of Argentinean President Cristina Fernandez, said the
offer was made to Argentinean Foreign Minister Hector Timerman during a recent
visit to Damascus, where he met with Syrian President Bashar Assad, a close ally
Timerman is the son of Jacobo Timerman, the Jewish journalist
and publisher imprisoned and tortured during Argentina’s Dirty War from
1976-1983. After his release from prison in 1979, Timerman was exiled and
immigrated to Israel, where he became an acerbic left-wing critic of the
government’s policies. He returned to Argentina in 1984.
the journalist who reported the story in Perfil
, has been accused of having an
anti-Fernandez bent, sources said.
Over the past several months, he has
spoken out against the incumbent on several radio talk shows ahead of the
October 2011 general elections.